Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
153 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 148

Gary Kulp, Paul E. Gallagher, 37Blanche, Sharkey, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Packard "Try Out" Keys
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Agreed. Loaner program would likely be the most cost effective, as well as fueling the commaraderie that is the point of this website.

Posted on: 2022/12/13 21:36
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

AndyCFI
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
I'd be interested in the rental program. Find keys that match, note the codes for future reference, and take the matching keys to get copies made. Return the loaner set back.

I'd imagine you could charge a deposit on top of the loan fee, and the deposit is returned when you get the key set returned.

I'm willing to be a test mule for the process.

Quote:

flackmaster wrote:
Agreed. Loaner program would likely be the most cost effective, as well as fueling the commaraderie that is the point of this website.

That was my guess, but wanted to gauge interest in either option. The process is time consuming, so if someone wants to own it - I would charge a good amount.

I think a very reasonable rental fee with a fairly large deposit would help folks out and also assure my tools are returned promptly. Trying out 250 keys should not take long.

Posted on: 2022/12/13 21:54
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Just popping in
Just popping in

William Aske
See User information
I am interested in this Packard try-out key set effort. My '41 Packards are put away for the winter so I decided to work on my own key & lock matching project. A friend told me about this forum thread and I got suckered in.

I had 11 door & trunk handles, 8 ignition switches, 4 glove box locks & 7 loose key cylinders all without matching keys & all related to '41 Packards. Years ago I was gifted a box of miscellaneous old keys. From this box I sorted out 71 old car keys that would slide into the Packard lock cylinders. Then one key at a time, I tried matching with each of the keyless parts. Seventeen locks & cylinders now have a key allowing me to remove the cylinders.

I currently have a quantity of 19 keys with the "Pxxxx" identification stamping. The other keys are aftermarket duplicated without stamped codes.

Now back to the start of this thread, the try-out key set. Any suggestions on how we can get this effort rolling in an honest and professional manner? I would like to participate.

Posted on: 2022/12/14 8:29
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

AndyCFI
See User information
It sounds like there is enough interest. I'm going to start working on it. I have several key machines and just need to order the blanks. I also have all of the packard codes and cuts for each key. I'll let you all know when it is ready!

Posted on: 2022/12/14 12:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Where did you find an index of all the key codes? Also what key blank are you using? Make sure the shoulder is long like the originals, not like the Axxess 78 keys.

Posted on: 2022/12/14 12:58
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

AndyCFI
See User information
I've been locksmithing as part time side gig. I have all the key codes in a database I pay to subscribe to. Was very surprised that they had Packard info, but they do!

On another thought ... would it be better if I sent out the try out keys, or asked folks to send me the lock to identify and cut a key. Maybe that is a better thought?? Just throwing spaghetti and the wall to see what sticks.

Posted on: 2022/12/14 17:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

39Rollson
See User information
I would be careful about sending the lockout
keys out. Only would take one person not returning the set to loose a valuable item.

Posted on: 2022/12/14 20:54
1954 Cavalier (export model)sold

1941 Clipper

1939 120 Rollson all weather cabriolet

George
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I think that if people were forced to mail out igntion switches and door handles out, they would just end up going to a local locksmith.

Then idea of getting a set of keys to "try" without having to disassemble anything is attractive. Otherwise, I'd call a local locksmith.

Just my opinion.

Posted on: 2022/12/14 21:42
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

AndyCFI
See User information
Quote:

George wrote:
I would be careful about sending the lockout
keys out. Only would take one person not returning the set to loose a valuable item.

George. Good point, but most of the value of these keys is in labor I do for enjoyment - key making is a hobby for me. I'd like to make a few bucks each rental to make it worth doing, however, if my keys were not returned it would not be the most valuable tool in my shop in terms of parts. I would also charge a credit card deposit.

Quote:

BigKev wrote:
I think that if people were forced to mail out igntion switches and door handles out, they would just end up going to a local locksmith.

Then idea of getting a set of keys to "try" without having to disassemble anything is attractive. Otherwise, I'd call a local locksmith.

Just my opinion.

This is likely true. And it is also why I think making it available to folks is worthwhile. At least for me, there is a sense of satisfaction in solving your own problems. Also, I think there is a small subset of this group that would want to own a set if they are a large collector.

Sidenote: I'm not just here to sell keys. I have a good friend who's into Packards and I am getting interested too. This is one small way to get my foot in the door. I have a 2 year old and when he gets a bit older, I think we may take on a Packard restoration project together. In the meantime, I'm here to learn!

Posted on: 2022/12/15 19:19
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

AndyCFI
See User information
Next question: what price point do folks think is fair to rent this set? It's a little time consuming to make, so I'd like to see some value out of it but I don't want to rob anyone either.

Posted on: 2022/12/15 19:26
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved