Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
148 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 148

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Infrequent lube items
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
How urgent is it to take care of the infrequent lube items like differential fluid, wheel bearings, and U joints after buying a car? IIRC these are at least 5k miles between service. I'll planning on getting these checked out next summer but in the meantime will be driving 100 or few miles.

This sound OK or should I get it done sooner?

Posted on: 2022/12/13 8:58
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Re: Infrequent lube items
Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
I took someone's advice (Kevin Packard?) and printed out one of these lube charts, circled the items I wanted them to check, and took it to one of those 10-minute oil change places, and they were happy to lube all those spots, and check the differential fluid level. They have standard diff lube in-stock to top it off if necesssary. That was easy and inexpensive (<$40) and the technicians got a kick out of it, and it provides peace of mind. Probably best when they aren't exceptionally busy. Since they are standing up down below the car, it's easy for them. If you bring them the filter and the oil, they will change your oil too, subtract the cost of the filter and the oil from the normal charge. That gets rid of the pain which is oil disposal and is also inexpensive. Heck, have them change the diff lube if it's really ugly. Shell Oil Lube Charts for Packards

Posted on: 2022/12/13 10:59
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
If the car has been serviced with modern long life greases in the past, then don't worry about it.

If the wheel bearings are starved, you will hear them humming. In the old days if the car started, stopped, and steered; it was driven home. I knew somebody who picked up a Hispano-Suiza at the New York City docks and drove it to San Francisco.

Give the car a good visual inspection, work up your sense of adventure, and roll the dice. I would stay off the freeways to be on the safe side. If it konks out, you can dump it in the nearest abandoned parking lot.

One thing to consider is having insurance and a temporary registration, or enough valid anything to avoid the cops. The Hispano guy was stopped by the cops twice who were so overwhelmed by the thing they didn't notice there were no plates on it.

Posted on: 2022/12/13 11:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Oh I've already driven it around a bit, about 20mi, but it's in the shop now.

I'll ask if they checked the diff level. If it's full I'm not worried.

Edit: differential is full.

The previous owner put in a rebuilt engine and had major transmission service + some rear axle stuff around a decade ago, so I'm sure all that stuff would have been taken care of at that time. Only concern I had was that IDK the time and miles since last service.

Posted on: 2022/12/13 12:24
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved