Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 109

Gary Kulp, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Old pressure drops at red lights
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Oil pressure drops at hot idle on modern cars. Note that some manufacturers rig the gauge to read constant above 7 psi.

Posted on: 2022/12/19 12:43
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

jw4
See User information
Quote:

Jack Vines wrote:
All these being new and adjusted correctly will go a long way toward keeping it running at idle.

True. Unless, of course, the fuel mixture and throttle position screws are off, on the carb

Quote:

Tim Cole wrote:
Note that some manufacturers rig the gauge to read constant above 7 psi.

Very interesting, did not know that.
It sounds like Ryan's car is simply trying to stall, though, so I would not be concerned about the oil pressure, for now.

Posted on: 2022/12/19 14:32
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Ryan
See User information
Ok thanks for the replys I think I have a good strategy. The car does have this problem even when cold so its probably not overheating. I'm going to try to adjust the idle and/or carb settings. Then I will try replacing ignition points, condensor, rotor and cap. When I first bought the car I had this problem and changed the plugs and wires and it ran fine. My guess is the car didnt like the adjustment it received from the shop.

I'll post update when completed.

Posted on: 2022/12/19 21:10
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Redhexagon
See User information
Tune-ups on cars of this era happened twice a year, or every 6000 miles. Whichever came first. They consisted of:

-Inspect the spark plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. Clean, gap, or replace as required.

-Inspect the ignition points. Clean or replace as required. Reset the dwell with a dwell meter. A feeler gauge does not work for setting used points.

-Check the ignition timing. Adjust as required.

-Verify function of the distributor advance mechanisms.

-Spray the choke linkage clean with a non-residue solvent, such as spray carburetor cleaner. Do not oil. Make sure the linkage and plate move freely.

-Adjust the idle mixture screws to achieve the highest idle speed in gear, wheels blocked. Then turn the screws lean 1/2 turn at a time until the speed drops slightly. Finally, return the screws to the highest speed.

-Adjust the curb idle (in gear, wheels blocked) to 500 rpm.

-Service the carburetor air cleaner and oil breather.

-Inspect the fuel filter. Service as required.

-Apply a few drops of regular engine oil to the generator and distributor bushing oil cups.

The idle mixture and speed settings are the most relevant to your problem. Those settings change quite a bit with the changing weather and gasoline blends in fall and again in spring.

Posted on: 2022/12/29 2:02
1955 Patrician.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Possible Vacuum leak?

Posted on: 2022/12/29 2:14
Riki
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I had a rough idle problem with the wife's 55 Caribbean. I checked the plugs, points timing, plug wiring, etc. before trying what I mentioned at post #3 elsewhere on this site.

Posted on: 2023/1/3 17:23
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
If you are near Detroit then you should check out/join the local Packard Club, they would know sources of local expertise:

Motor City Packards

But it does really sound like perhaps you need a tuneup.

Posted on: 2023/1/4 8:41
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved