Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
104 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Packard
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Chiefdan
See User information
My 1951 200 Deluxe Touring sedan is very original down to the decal below the ignition switch. Not sure how many of you have seen this decal but I thought it was cool and decided to share.
Happy Holidays, Dan

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_4165.JPG (229.62 KB)
225857_63a0fcd42ee93.jpg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2022/12/19 19:08
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Re: Packard
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks for posting. That looks to be one of the better condition decals still around. Have seen a few other photos of it on 51 and even some 52 models but am curious if anyone knows if it was used on the 23rd series 49-50s. The same ign switch was first used on those cars but the way the decal reads one would think it was a brand new item for whatever year car it was on.

Posted on: 2022/12/19 19:41
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Chiefdan, thanks for sharing.

Quote:
...the way the decal reads one would think it was a brand new item for whatever year car it was...

Howard (HH56), in 1953 the decal was still in use.

Posted on: 2022/12/20 4:20
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
All the more curious now why it stayed around that long. By 53 switch was really old news and was the same type most other mfgs used. When Packard changed to the 3 position switch in 49, at that time it was a departure after all the years of having just a basic on/off switch. If there was a need for a decal would have thought 49-50 would be the time and by 51 it would have gone away. Can't help but think Packard must have thought their buyers were somehow mentally challenged to still keep it in use.

Posted on: 2022/12/20 9:53
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
Love that decal! Marketing is a wonderful time machine and a glimpse into company thinking. I can see the pointy heads finally agreeing to go with the 3 way switch and reluctantly deciding to make the most of it.
Made me smile when I got my '37. Knew it was an aftermarket ignition switch as it was 3 position. No radio or other accessories on my baby!
Have a stupid sticker on my Saturn Sky's sun visor. My daughter, 12 at the time, was beside me on the way home from the dealer and read it to me. Seems she was not allowed in the front seat so I told her to get in the back. She laughed! (A Sky is a two seat roadster)
Bob J.
Bob J.

Posted on: 2022/12/20 10:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information

Quote:
All the more curious now why it stayed around that long. By 53 switch was really old news and was the same type most other mfgs used...

Howard (HH56), maybe new to those who bought a car in 1953 but didn't buy one in 1949 - 1952.

Posted on: 2022/12/20 10:30
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I suppose you are correct and the infrequent buyer could be the reason it stayed around.

Memory is not the greatest anymore but have been jiggling the few remaining functional brain cells while thinking back to that era. I was only a kid but still interested in cars and the bunch I ran with would make a pest of ourselves at the few dealerships in town during new car intros. We were often asked to leave before seeing everything so might have missed fine details but I cannot remember attached stickers like that used on other cars.

Do remember printed cards laying on dash tops and things hanging off knobs, steering wheels or gearshifts to describe or instruct on a feature but just cannot remember any other mfg that actually hard attached something to the car.

Packard seemed to stay with that type thing till the end. Someone posted a photo not long ago showing a sticker stuck on top of the new 56 pushbutton shift to detail how to operate it.

Posted on: 2022/12/20 11:14
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
That was me. I thought you'd find it interesting if you'd not seen it before. Even the original red text has faded but the glue is still as stuck on as ever it seems like.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=14967&cid=58#comment11657

Posted on: 2022/12/20 13:51
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Dan

I had a 1950 Eight for a number of years. It was built in the fall of 1949, renumebered in 1950 but not sold until May of 1950 from the dealer in Manhattan . It had one of those stickers and the three position switch. The switch was helpfully lighted so one could find in the dark but the headlamps had to switched on first !

Best Wishes for the season.

John Harley

Posted on: 2022/12/21 12:52
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved