Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
103 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 102

DM37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: '56 Patrician Side Mirrors
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
In some states, such as California, at least the driver side is required by law but on some vehicles both sides are required such as sedan deliveries without a back window.

Posted on: 2022/12/29 22:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Don

My dads 56 patrician did not come with mirrors

Only inside

Posted on: 2022/12/30 2:14
Riki
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
May not have been law then yet but they are required now. Back then blue-dot taillights were okay too but they are illegal in California today.

Posted on: 2022/12/30 3:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
I have some mirrors like the above posted by PackardDon, and they didn't "crank over" far enough to be mounted on the door and used as R.H. mirrors. Don't know the provenance of said mirror so maybe it's just a mirror only good for L.H. application.

Since I would like RH mirrors on my 1953, still wondering what folks recommend, and/or what they think of these:

RH Side Mirror 1951/1954 discussion, Mustang Mirror Option

Posted on: 2022/12/30 3:43
 Top  Print 

Re:
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
humanpotatohybrid wrote:
So you're agreeing with me right?

Yes, based on personal experience, I just wanted to reinforce the necessity for a RH mirror on a LHD car in a RHD country.

EDIT: Following comments on one of the Website threads recently, I reinstated the Full heading. Let's see if it "sticks" for further posts or drops off again.
FURTHER EDIT: That didn't work!
At least I tried.

Posted on: 2022/12/30 6:22
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 
Like (2)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:

Packard Don wrote:
This is the 1955-1956 type mirror which looks very much like the 1951-1954 type but it mounts differently. The 1951-1954 type mounted to the belt molding while the 1955-1956 type mounted to the door itself or, optionally if desired, to the fender. Left and right for all was the same.

I beg to differ, but the mirror shown in your photo is for 51-54. Note the angle of the stem. Mounted upright on a 55-56, there's no way the head can be adjusted to give much of anything but a view of the pavement. Note the little "tit" at the bottom of the tail; that is designed to engage a locating hole that's drilled in the 51-54 belt molding - per the accessory installation instructions.

Posted on: 2022/12/30 7:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Absolutely not a 51-54 mirror. Note the steel bracket underneath that mounts to the door, then the mirror attaches to it (ignore that the bracket is upside down). Also, the parts book shows the same part number for left and right mirrors.

This from Fred Bruner at Max Merritt:

Quote:
The mirrors are the same both right and left for both 1951-54 (part # 422809 x2) and for 1955-56 (part # 469482 x2). These numbers are from the factory manual in the accessory pages.

These are 1951-1954 mirrors which attach directly to the belt molding..

Attach file:

jpeg  47867242-6055-4470-9AE6-DC0F3E687657.jpeg (185.46 KB)
60923_63af271baa8a5.jpeg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2022/12/30 12:58
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Is there any kind of ID such as a casting number or maybe an accessory number stamped or cast somewhere inside the open base part on the pot metal. Since they look so much alike it might be nice to find and one could hope a means of determining year for someone else who might find a lone mirror somewhere -- assuming a higher number would be for the later mirror.

Posted on: 2022/12/30 13:28
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Actually, they don’t look anything alike underneath but if the number I posted above are cast into them, it should help. I’ll check mine when I get to my shop in a couple weeks as those are mine in the photos I posted and I have a couple others too.

Posted on: 2022/12/30 15:41
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
See this post from 2014 for pix of the repro mirror that Don Sommer stuck me with decades ago, which I had purchased for my 56 Packard. Long story short, it is clearly a 51-54 base, but he insisted it was a 55-56. Notice the angle of the head and stem. Further down the post you'll see a correct 55-56 mirror.

Posted on: 2022/12/30 19:40
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved