Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
162 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 161

53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 49 engine stopped
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
That's a good point, though I didn't suggest it because I don't know a normal voltage drop under load conditions, and it varies a bit by battery and car.

All batteries have internal resistance, you can visualize as a voltage source (like a power supply) in series with a small resistance. The internal resistance increases slowly but permanently with age (and excessive heat), and temporarily from discharge (and cold temperatures). This is why a battery is considered discharged at like 11½ volts instead of 0... because the resistance gets so high that there is not much power available. (An axiom of battery power is that the maximum power available under an optimal circumstance is V^2/R where R is the internal resistance. As R goes up, power drops.) This is why, even though you could crank over a car just fine on a charged up 11V battery (if there were such a thing), you would have no chance if you have a 12V battery reading 11V.

So that's why, given the engine won't turn over, a simple voltage reading is useful on its own. 12V batteries go roughly from 12.6V full charge to 11.6V empty. So if you read a voltage of like 11.7V then probably you have a charging system issue and ran the battery dead. If it's like 12.1V and still won't start then the battery is toast.

To be clear, nothing of what Howard said is wrong, I just wanted to explain the slightly different path of reasoning that I like to use.

Posted on: 2022/12/31 17:45
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day ErikT,
Very nice looking Packard. to PackardInfo, wish you well in getting your Packard Convertible to start again.

And, I invite you to include your Packard Convertible in PackardInfo's Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: 2022/12/31 18:17
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Hello all, I may be somewhat oldfashioned but I actually carry a spare 6V Optima battery when I take any of my old cars out (not one for each of course). I have used it on the odd occasion, maybe six times in 20 years, but always on someone else's vehicle. It certainly sounded like a supply problem such as a loose terminal, etc. to grind to a halt so suddenly. Even if the battery is dead, the generator will provide the ignition voltage. It is why you can bump start a generator vehicle when an alternator vehicle will not as the generator vehicle does not need exciter current to generate voltage. Peter T

Posted on: 2023/1/1 5:19
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Hello all, I may be somewhat oldfashioned but I actually carry a spare 6V Optima battery when I take any of my old cars out (not one for each of course). I have used it on the odd occasion, maybe six times in 20 years, but always on someone else's vehicle. It certainly sounded like a supply problem such as a loose terminal, etc. to grind to a halt so suddenly. Even if the battery is dead, the generator will provide the ignition voltage. It is why you can bump start a generator vehicle when an alternator vehicle will not as the generator vehicle does not need exciter current to generate voltage. Peter T

Posted on: 2023/1/1 5:19
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved