Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 106

Geocap, dallas, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Moving 1922 without tires
Just popping in
Just popping in

Don in Portland Oregon
See User information
My friend has a 1922 touring single six. It's in a shed on dirt. The tires are there but have come off the wheels. The wheels have wood spokes with metal rims and look in pretty good shape.

This car has not been moved in years. It looks complete except for the shift knob.
She wants to pull it out of the shed. Could she do this without hurting the rims and spokes? any tips on moving it?

Thanks,
Don

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_4150.JPEG (300.33 KB)
225967_63af9e9ec2ac9.jpeg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2022/12/30 21:30
 Top  Print 

Re: Moving 1922 without tires
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
I've never done this but offer these thoughts.

1) The tyres look like they've reached the end of their useful life some time ago so I wouldn't be concerned about further damaging them whatever you do.

2) Can it be determined if the drive train is "locked up"? Does the clutch work? Is the engine seized?

3) Are the brakes "locked on" after sitting for many years? I think these only have rear brakes but I could easily be wrong.

4) I see it has wooden wheels. Are these in "good" condition? Not rotten or suffering from little critters using them for their lunch.

5) Condition of the steel rims, good or otherwise? Are they still securely mounted to the wooden wheels?

6) Depending on the answers you get, if it can be determined it'll roll relatively freely I'd give pulling it out of the shed a go.

7) If possible lay down some lengths of timber for the wheels to roll on. Should help minimise possible rim damage.

As I said, I've never done this, so it might be best if you treat my thoughts with a grain of salt. I hope someone comes along who has hands on experience with this type of situation.

Posted on: 2022/12/30 23:09
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'd recommend moving the car from the building by jacking it up and putting dollies under the rims.

Posted on: 2022/12/31 12:01
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
I'd clear out the junk, jack the car up, put plywood down (or OSB) under each wheel track, lower each wheel on to a dolly, and slowly ease the car out of the building. The (much more?) difficult task will be to get it loaded up on a trailer.

Ive also seen guys "build" new "wheels" out of multiple layers of plywood, remove the wooded spoked wheels to prevent them from collapsing, and install the plywood. Then bolt the front "wheels" to a 2x8, and set THAT on the dollies.

Posted on: 2022/12/31 12:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardsix1939
See User information
Wow! All I can say is this is an incredible barn find. Please post additional photos after you extricate the car from the shed.

It appears from the photos that the wooden spokes on right front wheel have become partially detached from the steel rim. With 100-year-old wood, the spokes could be quite fragile, and they could easily come apart while the car is being moved. Owen-Dyneto's recommendation to put the car on dollies is a good one. Wooden spoked wheels of this vintage are built up from several sections and the sections can break apart because the wood is probably very dried out from so many years of storage. In any event, the sections of the wheels are probably loose. An old trick to tighten up wood wheels is to remove them from the car and soak them in a tank of water overnight. I saw this once on an old car restoration TV show where a brass era car was being removed from a museum after many decades of being on display. This will cause the wood to swell. But if the wood is badly rotted, new wheels will the only solution. Unfortunately, this will be an expensive proposition. What is your friend's plan for the car?

Posted on: 2022/12/31 12:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
If the wheels-n-spokes are $hite, then the laminated plywood circles make sense. I'd use .75" if it were mine. Also, dirt floor. Dollies, like as not, are intended to roll on concrete/pavement and would likely be swallowed in dirt, so the idea also of lifting the car and putting plywood/OSB under it solves that dilemma.

Should the wheels have died or otherwise migrated beyond use, if there is an Amish community near you, if they cannot rebuild/replace the spokes, then I'd wager they know who can, and likely for considerably less than what a "restoration" shop would want/gouge you for.

Posted on: 2022/12/31 13:33
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I'd call a flatbed tow truck and tell them to bring proper towing wheel dollys with them.

May cost a couple of hundred dollars, but some things are better left to folks with the proper equipment.

Posted on: 2023/1/1 8:29
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Don in Portland Oregon
See User information
Thank you all for your input. I think I'll recommend putting planks or plywood under the car and having a roll-back tow truck move it.

I'm not sure what my friend wants to do with it. It's about 25 miles SE of Fresno California, which is pretty hot. I'm sure the wood wheels are thoroughly dried out. The car was last licensed in 1952 and probably hasn't been driven in 50 years. My research on www.caaarguide.com shows it's worth about $13,100 - $13,600 depending on its wheelbase. Does this sound reasonable?

Also, can anyone tell me what the leather flaps at the top center of the doors are for?

Posted on: 2023/1/10 0:53
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Don in Portland Oregon wrote:..Also, can anyone tell me what the leather flaps at the top center of the doors are for?
Don,
My guess is that these were to protect the paint on the top of the doors. Based on seeing a lot of roadsters with that feature as part of the rumble seat area, with leather flaps to protect the paint on the rear mudguads(fenders) where passangers arms would otherwise rest on the body. I'm often wrong, and if I am, I'm sure somebody will correct me!

Posted on: 2023/1/10 1:35
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
Those flaps cover pockets in the doors, this is a 1922 Sport 126. there will be minor differences between the different 1922 models

Attach file:

jpg  DSC_0068 e.JPG (211.11 KB)
579_63bd07562cce9.jpg 1734X1153 px

Posted on: 2023/1/10 1:37
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved