Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
113 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 112

39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Oil filter sealed cannister
Home away from home
Home away from home

CCR
See User information
Somewhere I saw a link where someone had taken the smaller sealed cannister type oil filter and was making a twist off top to be able to replace with cartridges. I don't remember if they were still making and selling them but it seemed like a more affordable easier to replace option (at least for my '39 Packard Six). Hoping someone can point me back to the location or similar setups. (I have sealed replacements and a few sites to get those so I am good on that front.)

On a side note, I happen to have a couple of vintage cartridge housing types that I need to trade/sell if anyone is interested. My acquisition of those may or may not have anything to do with not paying attention during a purchase for fitting my car. :) Free tip: Don't buy stuff late at night while multi-tasking.

Posted on: 2023/1/5 22:58
 Top  Print 

Re: Oil filter sealed cannister
Home away from home
Home away from home

jimw
See User information
Burr-Ripley makes such a cannister. Don't know what years they provide them for.

Posted on: 2023/1/25 18:22
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Mr. Ripley passed away a number of years ago. To my knowledge no one has carried the business forward. His offerings were the Purolater L6 and L8 type used only on the senior 8 and 12 cylinder engines 1934-1939.

Posted on: 2023/1/25 19:22
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
It has been many years since I needed to update my 12. And someone here can update us. Someone made a conversion kit using your original canister. It did cause you to cut open the original and do some welding. Since you have the canister all you would need is a simple machine shop and someone that can to some easy welding if the kit is still available? I think maybe from one of the Packard clubs?

Posted on: 2023/1/25 20:01
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The vendor of that was one of the CCCA regions and the last time I took note of it, it was still listed in their monthly newsletter.

Posted on: 2023/1/25 20:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

LOL
See User information
Hi
If someone could fill me in on the details, I might be able to help.
Thanks
Crin

Posted on: 2023/1/25 21:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CCR
See User information
I found some replacements (one place has new sealed another NOS that I came across) for now but attached is the type that I thought I had seen someone modify that was not the L types. These pics show what was on the car and it was that type I had seen modified.

Attach file:

jpg  PXL_20221127_200040702.jpg (271.83 KB)
225785_63d1ff9465e05.jpg 1446X1920 px

jpg  PXL_20221228_205151375.jpg (213.05 KB)
225785_63d1ffa5116a5.jpg 1446X1920 px

Posted on: 2023/1/25 23:20
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved