Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
136 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 136

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Gas tank filler lock fell into the gas tank!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rscott77x
See User information
I was finally able to use a screwdriver to pry the shell off my locking gas cap that was frozen. I got the shell off but the lock mechanism actually fell into the gas tank. I bought some magnets on a expandable shaft and put it down the neck to try and use the magnet to catch the lock. But there seems to be a baffle at the base of the filler tube. My question;is there a baffle inside the tank that might protect the sender unit from being struck by this lock floating around in the gas tank. I pulled the gas tank before when I put in a new sender unit and I don't remember seeing any baffles. Is there a way I can avoid pulling the tank to get that lock mechanism out. Or, is it okay just to leave it in. I don't want it to damage that new sender unit. But I'm guess I'm preparing for the worst. I'm beginning to think the only way to get the lock mechanism out is to drop the tank and remove the sender unit so there's a nice big hole I can put my hand in.

Posted on: 2023/1/6 10:59
 Top  Print 

Re: Gas tank filler lock fell into the gas tank!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
There is no reason I can think of to cause an issue just leaving the unit in the tank. They are usually mostly brass so a magnet will not likely work. The pick-up tube is 5/16" OD so there is no way the unit will interfere with gas flow. If you do drop the tank you can likely just jiggle it around to get the unit back out through the filler neck. Up to you.
Bob J.

Posted on: 2023/1/6 11:06
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As to whether it can roll around and do damage I could not say if there is enough weight behind it but I expect it would take quite a bit of force from acceleration or braking or even turns for it to move that hard. Unless the tank is near empty and float is hanging close to the bottom there is not much else for it to hit. Noise from the lock banging on a side or knocking any old rust flakes off might be the more prevalent complaint.

Here are photos of the inside of a 47 and 48 tank posted a few years ago. I don't remember who took the 48 but I believe the 47 photos were supplied by Wes Boyer.

Attach file:

jpg  1003_58e0e23f7c91b.jpg (69.73 KB)
209_63b848c610f01.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  1003_58e0e2335df5d.jpg (77.39 KB)
209_63b848d18da25.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  1003_58e0e2498dda6.jpg (74.75 KB)
209_63b848da77edd.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  48 gas tank inside.jpg (107.77 KB)
209_63b848fad8256.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2023/1/6 11:16
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rscott77x
See User information
Thank you for giving me some peace of mind. I don't drive the car hard enough to sling the lock around in the tank. After all, the car is more of a place than a thing on the road. In a recent ride, my cousin who drives a Corvette, was stunned such a large machine could go down the road so majestically. But,it is a Packard!

Posted on: 2023/1/6 11:58
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
The lock cylinder won't be buoyant in gasoline. It's unlikely to even move in normal driving. If you keep the tank decently full then there's no way it would touch the float aside from the most absurd of circumstances.

Posted on: 2023/1/6 12:23
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I'm not sure they are magnetic either. I don't recall them being brass, maybe white/pot metal? I have one somewhere.
When I tried to clean out the gunk in the tank, I had a difficult time removing what I put in to scour the interior. So not unexpected, but patience and craft may help. I'd drain the tank of all the gas. There should be a drain plug on it, but maybe frozen so don't heat or over power.
Then you might fish a stout wire down and get the lock near the drain and snag with the wire through the fill tube, but just guessing. A flexible inspection camera would help too in fishing it out.
If you drop the tank you should be able to take it out through the level gauge opening. Probably your best shot*.
I wouldn't approach this by taking off the top cover. These are fairly non-robust and you can usually force them off. That's how I got mine off. Brute force.
Probably not the first. I don't know if it will or won't do damage, but why take the chance? I can see it both ways.
* I just changed the fuel gauge on my diesel P/U and the plastic/metal inlet screen broke off in several pieces and impacted the sending unit. I tried to pull it all out with my flexible grabber, but couldn't get the last small one. So I had to go in with my arm through the gauge hole.

Posted on: 2023/1/8 11:09
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
What are the odds of this???

I hate to say it, but it's kinda funny.

Were it mine, I'd fuggedaboutit.

Posted on: 2023/1/8 13:59
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
I wouldn't sweat it.

Posted on: 2023/1/8 22:53
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved