Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
142 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 140

Packard Don, Dads 56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Home Made Grommets
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
If you have a larger hole you want grommeted to allow safe cable/wire runs to pass through sheet metal I have a solution.

Use vacuum hose.

Trim off a piece a little longer than the hole's circumference. Use a sharp pair of scissors and split the hose down the outer diameter edge. (This refers to the way the tube naturally bends as it is usually packed in a roll so you might as well go with the flow.) Now simply press the cut edge over the sheet metal hole's edge. When you get back to the start trim it just a tiny bit long so it is slightly compressed on the final inserted edge so the butt ends close up tight. The wall of the vacuum hose now will allow the wires to pass without abrading the insulation and avoid shorts.
Bob J.

Posted on: 2023/1/8 17:07
 Top  Print 

Re: Home Made Grommets
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
You can also buy hose that is already split. I have some that’s about 1/8” or so in diameter that I use as a seal for the Treadlevac air filter housings but it would also make a great grommet for protecting wiring etc. through holes as you described.

Posted on: 2023/1/8 17:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
I had a large hole in the tool/battery box of my trailer and I was installing a wench. I found a 1.5" plumbers Fernco connector and used that as a sleeve for the wires going through the hole. The Fernco was slightly bigger than the hole, so it took some shoving (and maybe some cussin'). It has stayed in place.

Posted on: 2023/1/8 21:21
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Rubber hose works well in larger holes and is usually easy and quick to find but for cases where you have a smaller hole or the hose might be a bit too bulky or you just want a more subtle look McMaster has a decent selection of rubber edge treatments which are more flexible and work better with small holes than the plastic types. Both rubber and plastic styles are available in various sizes and shapes. Here are just a few of the rubber styles.

Attach file:

jpg  edge trim.jpg (64.45 KB)
209_63bb7ee1f02fc.jpg 2050X616 px

Posted on: 2023/1/8 21:42
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
I have found adult words always are needed in any difficult work!

Great stuff everyone. I really like the large range of ideas from this group.

Posted on: 2023/1/8 21:44
 Top  Print 
Laugh (1)

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I've always bought the assorted boxes of grommet and rubber plugs and they have always come in handy.

A pro tip for installing some of large stiff grommets, use a heat gun to get them hot first. Then that are soft enough to work the into and over the sheet metal. When they cool, they so back to their former semi rigid state.

Posted on: 2023/1/8 22:54
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved