Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
114 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 112

CartRich, Packard5687, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Whoopee Auto Coaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
This is video of the Whooppee Auto Coaster in Lyons, IL in 1929. Gee...what could go wrong? I bet lawyers were lining up.

https://www.efootage.com/videos/54662/auto-roller-coaster-1929

Posted on: 2023/1/11 8:18
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Re: Whoopee Auto Coaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Only $.10!

Attach file:

jpg  Screenshot_20230111_073631_Facebook.jpg (109.93 KB)
1_63bebb94eb481.jpg 1080X1127 px

Posted on: 2023/1/11 8:37
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardsix1939
See User information
Looks like fun. Thanks for sharing. But one rotten section and the fun could end rather abruptly. Or you get a real daredevil on the course who gets airborne and flies off the track. I'll bet that is what finally happened.

I heard that that is how board track motorcycle racing eventually ended in the early part of the last century. The wooden tracks were exposed to weather and would quickly deteriorate. Rotted sections would give way, leading to horrific accidents during races. Imagine hitting a pile of lumber at 90 mph. Ouch!

Posted on: 2023/1/11 12:38
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don't quite see the attraction myself but I guess in times without much in the way of organized entertainment options you do what you can. Note the times the park is open and statement that grounds were well policed, day and night.

Truly that must have been a gentler time as the policing was probably done by an unarmed person walking around looking for mischief makers and with a gentle suggestion they cease their activity and move on. Too bad the same cannot be said for attractions today because even if there is an effort to police grounds, all too often it has to be done by someone armed and with the expectation of a hostile reaction.

Posted on: 2023/1/11 13:02
Howard
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
From reading some background on this, the company built several of these around the country. The Great Depression hit, and they all were gone by 1931.

I can almost hear the clatter that must have made with cars driving over it.

Posted on: 2023/1/11 13:15
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Mynlak
See User information
That looks like it could be a lot of fun. And possibly end quite dangerously. Looked up an article on it and sounds like the stock market crash torpedoed attendance and willingness to put wear on cars. Sounds like it had a decent run before that though.

Posted on: 2023/2/9 16:20
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved