Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
59 user(s) are online (34 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 59

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Volkswagen Brake Light Switch
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

ChuckAZ
See User information
Thanks Man

Posted on: 2023/1/23 9:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Would it make sense to put the Volkswagen and Harley switch (along with the aftermarket equivalent) in the X-Ref? I assume the Harley Switch would work for the 1951-54's as well with the TreadlevaC?

Posted on: 2023/1/24 13:43
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Yes, please include them. All the two-prong switches are the same.

Posted on: 2023/1/24 14:01
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
One thing I am a bit concerned about with at least the SL-134 Napa switches is the fact several have said they had issues and the switch threads leak. I am one who had issues on the 47 yet others have not experienced a problem.

Packard said their ports are 1/8 NPT and Napa says the switches are too. Am wondering if there could be some sloppy Chinese threads on the switches or if one of the components is actually threaded 1/8 straight instead of NPT.

Posted on: 2023/1/24 15:55
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I've used the Napa switches for years and have never had a leak, nor have I ever seen one with straight threads. Maybe over tightening caused a crack, which is more likely.

Posted on: 2023/1/24 16:15
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The switch I just got from Napa (SL-134), came with thread tape already applied.

Posted on: 2023/1/24 16:17
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Definitely no cracks and I even bought a new block screw thinking there was some damage to the switch port threads. Finally used non hardening Permatex to seal mine.

The inclusion of thread tape is interesting and must be a fairly recent change -- at least in the last year or two. Can you tell if it is the regular teflon tape or something else? Most switches I have seen are just bare threads. Even more interesting is the Napa photos of their SL134 show the tape used on the Echlin version but not on the lower cost MPE version. The usual places that deal with brake components say not to use teflon tape but Napa must approve of whatever they used. Since that should offer a better chance at a good seal, perhaps it should be specified in the xref to only use the Echlin switch.

When I was playing with the 56 some of the line components -- inline fittings and valves in particular -- had a red and fairly hard sealing compound painted on the threads.

Posted on: 2023/1/24 16:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved