Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
92 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 90

Ozstatman, William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Fuel system
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Kenken
See User information
I need to find fuel lines from the tank to the engine carburetor etc where do I find them I can't seem to find them on a parts list

Posted on: 2023/1/23 1:09
 Top  Print 

Re: Fuel system
Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
I think the only place making actual replacements is Classic Tube. Most people just end up bending their own. Fuel line is a little tougher than brake line because it is thicker, but with some practice it's not bad.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2023/1/23 1:20
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Kenken
See User information
Thanks.they should be straighter then doing brake lines which I'm currently working on for the Packard.

Are they 3/4 or 5/8? For the fuel lines

Posted on: 2023/1/23 1:25
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
I don't know what size they are, but it's rather simple to figure out, just take the one off the output from the fuel pump, which should be a short hard line, and take it to NAPA.

For reference, the Factory Parts List to the left has the parts plates, which can also be found as a PDF in the Factor Parts Manual, 1948-54:

Parts Plate, 1948-1954

The fuel system is illustrated as plate 103A, and the primary fuel line itself is Group # 9.400. Group # is the weird Packard way of assigning a part grouy for a part, then you look up the actual part # for your model and year in the Parts list.

So if you look up group 9.400 in the Factory Parts list, you get
Factor Parts List, Group# 9.400

you get #446359 for chassis #2626/5426

Posted on: 2023/1/23 2:02
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You did not mention a year but most of the metal lines from the tank to the point where it connects to the short rubber hose between line and fuel pump is 5/16". The rubber hose should also be changed and postwar hoses are repro'd by one of the Packard Club regions. Any year hose can probably be made up by a local parts store or hydraulic place -- most likely with different looking fittings though. Note there are different versions of the hose so if you order a repro make sure you get the one correct for your year. 22-23rd series models seem to be a time where there was a bit of either version mixing.

If Classic or one of the other tube making places cannot help with a premade tube, many of us have bought a length of copper-nickel tubing or brand name Cunifer tubing (often sold for brake line use) for this purpose because it is much easier to bend, form, and then maneuver into position around the obstructions at the front suspension and radiator areas than the original steel line. The tubing is often available locally and is also sold at many of the online parts and streetrod stores.

Posted on: 2023/1/23 9:53
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
If you really need someone else to do it. Google hydraulic line in your area. There should be several in your industrial area, or where there is a lot of trucking repair.

Posted on: 2023/1/23 10:56
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Kenken
See User information
All right so my apologies it's a 53 Packard cavalier now I know that many say and show the fuel pump on the right front of the engine block on the bottom but this one doesn't have one I can't seem to find it now when I look at the carburetor I see the hose coming off the filter and it goes straight back to the firewall down under the car to the back now I pulled off an electric fuel pump which many have said they don't recognize that as far as a Packard product there are pictures of that fuel pump on my other thread named need help identifying this part I believe that seems to be the only fuel pump on there I don't know if it was an afterthought from a previous owner or what.

Posted on: 2023/1/24 20:23
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Almost assuredly some previous owner took off the mechanical fuel pump down by the right-hand-side of the engine (there must be a blanking plate over where it would be actuated by the camshaft), and installed the aftermarket electric fuel pump which you have shown in your pictures. As has been said already, in many cases people left the original fuel pump and only used an electric fuel pump as a "priming" pump, also useful for situations with vapor lock.

You have a few choices:

1) Keep the setup you have and rebuild or otherwise refurbish the Stewart-Warner (IIRC) pump you have. That's not a stock Packard item, it is aftermarket, that's all I know.

2) Get rid of the electric pump, and as some have suggested, put a mechanical fuel pump in - I believe you can get a refurbished mechanical fuel pump from Kanter Auto (www.kanter.com) or Max Merrit (packardparts.com), or many others. Best to call them.

3) Install a mechanical fuel pump and an electric fuel pump to act as a priming pump. There are a few pumps people have used, there are other threads to that effect here on this website, do a search for electric fuel pump.

4) You can replace the electric fuel pump you have with a new one, again do a search for electric fuel pump on this website.

Posted on: 2023/1/24 20:40
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Kenken
See User information
So you said there may be a backing plate this is what I see I don't know if that's where the pump should be or not

Attach file:

jpg  16746115327854439073025572900029.jpg (370.18 KB)
225999_63d08ba64b4c5.jpg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2023/1/24 20:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
blanking plate.

That's below the engine mount. The pump mounts just above the engine mount. So take a picture from above, below the intake manifold, towards the front, just behind the timing chain/water pump cases.

Posted on: 2023/1/24 20:56
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved