Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
69 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 68

37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Windlace installation
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

DShaff
See User information
Needing to know how to install Windlace between the dash and door post on a 1941 120. Does the dash need to be removed?

Posted on: 2023/1/31 22:19
 Top  Print   

Re: Windlace installation
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Cannot speak with absolutes on the 120 conventional body but if no one else comes along with definitive info will offer a possibility. No idea if it is but IF the construction is anything like the Clipper body then for a proper install yes, the dash would need to come out.

On the Clipper the windlace is held by a tack strip coming down along the windshield edge and ending about midway along the dash side. At that point it transitions into a mechanical fastening method where the windlace is held by the sharp point on triangular shapes that get mashed over to capture and force the windlace edge into the hole formed when making the triangles.

Conceivably you may be able to loosen the dash and maybe pull it out slightly. With use of cement you MIGHT get the windlace edge secured in the space and then let the dash hold it in position. I have not tried that approach to say if it is doable.

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_0750.jpeg (132.68 KB)
209_63dbe780a6a42.jpeg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2023/2/2 11:47
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Windlace installation
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Mine is a '40 160.

I am redoing my entire dash and wiring out of the car. My kick panel is out because I'm mounting my relay and distribution block in a box on the kick panel. With my dash and kick panel out, you can see how the outside strip of windlace is glued against the metal and under the kick panel and holes punched for the kick panel retaining clips through the inside and outside edges of the windlace..

The leather towards the bottom corner of the window wraps around the dash metal covering the piece that sticks up, (in the circle) and following the curve of it.

Attach file:

jpg  CoveredCornerDash.jpg (214.78 KB)
1067_63dc421042b8f.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  40Windlace.jpg (259.64 KB)
1067_63dc421d92788.jpg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2023/2/2 18:07
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved