Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
97 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 96

JD in KC, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: 1950 327 with Ultramatic - Idle Speed
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
Jerome asked how I'm measuring engine speed. I'm using a digital photo sensor, with the reflective tape on the belt. A better place/tool for this operation?

I would be curious about how the RPM reading with the reflective tape on the belt would compare to a reading with the tape directly on the vibration damper. I would place the tape maybe opposite the timing marks on the damper metal because I think there could be room for error reading the belt. The diameter of the groove on the damper and where in the groove the belt is making contact would change the speed of belt travel making it slower or faster and reading differently from the actual RPM. Any belt slippage could also affect the reading if the belt was a bit loose.

Posted on: 2023/2/7 0:27
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The crankshaft will make three or four revolutions for every turn of the belt--think of the difference in circumference of the belt vs the pulley. Your marker must be on the crank pulley.

Posted on: 2023/2/7 11:46
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Joe
See User information
Made that adjustment tonight. Woof. Changed everything. Basically starting the tuning process over. Thank you so much for pointing this out.

Posted on: 2023/2/9 3:18
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Joe
See User information
Can't thank the people on here enough. I should've known better with the tape placement. I've never heard the engine sound like that, and really ran rough down there for a bit. I redid everything. Reset the timing, reset the idle, ended up finding the plugs had fouled out again, so replaced those, switched air cleaners (was using a small 2bbl air cleaner, switched to a larger 11-inch 2bbl air cleaner - really wish I had the air cleaner that's supposed to go on this engine), and fought the mixture screws for that just-right combination of vacuum and smooth idle. Goodness, but here was the result from today's drive:https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/contents/view?contentsToken=1675958464868LzMwgZm¤tIndex=1&linkUrlVersion=V1

We might just be on the right track? Maybe.

Posted on: 2023/2/9 16:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Sounds pretty quiet!

Posted on: 2023/2/9 23:49
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved