Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
32 user(s) are online (23 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 32

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 10 »

Re: Electrical systems
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
So in the picture that I posted there's a wire running from the top of the points that runs down to the side where the condenser would Hook from you know outside the distributor can I just take that wire off and just leave it like that with no wire

The two black wires I see in your photo both need to stay. The longer top wire from the nut at the points to the nut on the black bakelite block is the signal from the points that goes on to the coil. The black bakelite is just an insulator and the stud thru it completes the path to another terminal which is outside the distributor case. That outside terminal connects to the coil and is probably where the old outside condenser connected. Any wire that was between the old condenser and outside terminal could be eliminated.

The shorter wire connecting between a screw threaded into the case near the cap hold down clip to a screw on the plate where the vacuum advance arm fastens is a ground wire. Because the plate is mounted on bearings and continuously moves, it may not always have a good solid ground so that wire is present to provide a reliable ground connection from the metal distributor case to the points and condenser can.

The new condenser wire would connect to the nut at the top of the points just as the picture from the SM shows. Because clearance is tight and the plate moves just be sure to mount the condenser can so it does not touch anything else that moves and route the condenser wire so there is no chance it will rub or get caught on the rotor or anything else .

Posted on: 2023/2/6 10:10
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Kenken
See User information
Thank you I will absolutely do that unfortunately I won't be able to do it for another 5 hours probably but I will definitely do it I'm going to go pick up a condenser after work and head right over to the garage I can't wait to get that done and potentially get a spark lol then I can work on getting it started and running

Posted on: 2023/2/6 11:42
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Kenken
See User information
Is there a distributor cap and rotor that would be compatible with the 53 Packard cavalier maybe at AutoZone or Napa etc

Posted on: 2023/2/6 13:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Here is the parts cross-reference page for electrical components:

Electrical Cross-Reference

So for the Cap:
NAPA RR158

Rotor (non-resistor, may need to use Resistor plugs if you want to use the radio):
NAPA RR159

Condenser:
NAPA ECHLIN AL-869

Posted on: 2023/2/6 14:12
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Kenken
See User information
That's perfect thank you appreciate it

Posted on: 2023/2/6 14:24
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Kenken
See User information
Yeah so I looked up the part numbers for the points I couldn't find points under those numbers however when I just put in points in the search it came up with a bunch of them but I'm not sure which set would be good for that

Posted on: 2023/2/6 14:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Looking further down in the Cross-Reference, look at:

Echlin CS777A

Posted on: 2023/2/6 14:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Some of the xref numbers may be obsolete now since a lot of the data that started the xref was compiled a dozen or more years ago.

Packard used both Delco and Autolite electrics and they will interchange on the engines. Packard may have started out with a specific item used on certain models but there is no given that is still the case today. One significant issue is the number in the xref may have been correct for what the original finder of the xref number thought was the correct component on his car but it is possible a previous owner before him swapped a component with one from another model.

This parts swapping was a very common occurrence in the years after Packard went away and parts became harder to find. Many old unwanted Packards populated junkyards at that time and were salvations for someone looking for a hard to find or just an inexpensive repair.

To get the proper items for your distributor, if you have the xref number as a start that is good but I would also suggest you take the cap, rotor, etc in with you. If the number proves useless the clerk may still be able to refer to them and possibly come up with a current number and can match to what you have and see if it will work. If all else fails, our vendors have researched this and I believe all have kits with the common items already crossed.

Posted on: 2023/2/6 15:07
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Kenken
See User information
Thanks guys I appreciate it if I find a particular rotor cap that works with it I will get the parts numbers and put them on form for other people

Posted on: 2023/2/6 15:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
There should be a model number on the distributor somewhere, usually a small metal plate. With # that you can find the parts.

Posted on: 2023/2/6 15:24
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 10 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved