Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
140 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 137

DavidM, dallas, tabletennissport, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 10 »

Re: Electrical systems
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Kenken
See User information
I mean at this point I'm really lost because you know the plugs are new I just put in new plug wires new cab new rotor new coil you know and everything's hooked up the way it was when I took it out the only thing that could maybe be is the points I don't know if that would cause a no spark condition but even if the points were bad I would still have power to the coil when I hook my test light up to one side of the coil the negative side and touch it to the positive side of the coil the light does not come on but if I touch the test light to say the block which is ground the light comes on if I touch it to the negative post on the battery the light comes on so I'm just I'm really really confused right now

Posted on: 2023/2/9 19:28
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Originally, the positive post would be connected to the ground, this was done by a strap or cable to a point on the engine block, the negative would be connected to the starter.

Maybe the best thing you can do is take a few pictures of how it is all connected up, and don't do anything else. Like "point A" "point B", etc.

I don't know all the bad things that can happen if the battery is hooked up backwards. Others can weigh in there. Some things won't care. Some things will.

Posted on: 2023/2/9 19:39
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Kenken
See User information
Okay so here are the pictures I don't have the ground strap coming from the block hook to the battery but it's right next to it.

Also I just checked the voltage with my multimeter from the negative terminal of the battery to the negative terminal and positive terminal on the coil and they both read 6.21

Attach file:

jpg  16759899886436327527916652761754.jpg (272.28 KB)
225999_63e5942a2b546.jpg 1440X1920 px

jpg  16759900753174333411934162986880.jpg (181.24 KB)
225999_63e594b7d8019.jpg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2023/2/9 19:50
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
First, did you do this test suggested in post 12 and if so what were the results.

Before going much farther test for shorts. Put the meter on volts, one lead to ground, the other to the coil terminal coming from the ign sw. You should have around 6v with the ign sw on. Put the lead on the other terminal connecting to dist. If the points are open you should have the same 6+ volts and if the points are closed, close to zero volts. Crank the engine and the volts should swing from 6 to 0 as the points open and close. If nothing moves and volts stays high, either the points are not closing or there is an open wire. If it stays at 0 there is a shorted wire or condenser or the points are not opening.

If you have a voltage substantially less than 6v say around 5 or slightly over when cranking, there is a voltage drop that needs to be found and corrected or the spark will be very weak and may not be strong enough to jump the plug gap. Voltage drop is usually caused by dirty connections, too small of battery cables, a battery not large enough, improper timing, or a dragging starter that is pulling too much current.
Doing the tests -- particularly the cranking voltage tests -- will let you know if there are points or voltage issues.

Second is this a car with a recently running engine or are you trying to start an engine that is in a long sitting car.

Posted on: 2023/2/9 19:52
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Kenken
See User information
Okay so I did that test and before I crank both terminals on the coil read 6.02 or 3 and then while I'm cranking the engine it goes from like 6 volts to 3.5 within that range on both of those terminals neither one drop to zero it just stayed within that range

Posted on: 2023/2/9 20:00
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Kenken
See User information
So I should be able to use a feeler gauge and Gap the contact points at either .018 or .020 right

Posted on: 2023/2/9 20:03
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Kenken
See User information
I also put a new condenser in it the start has been rebuilt and as far as I can tell all the connections are clean but as far as the timing I have no idea cuz I can't check it unless the engine's running

Posted on: 2023/2/9 20:08
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
3.5 v when the points are closed would indicate either a bad ground to the distributor body or some resistance in the points. Ideally the voltage at the coil distributor terminal should be .5 volts or less when points are closed.

Make sure the distributor body to engine block clamp is clean and tight and then crank the car so the points are closed. Use your finger to open the points momentarily and insert a strip of coarse paper -- maybe something from a heavy paper sack or some other rough finish paper between the points. Hold the points gently closed with your fingers while pulling the paper strip thru a couple of times. This should clean off any oxidation that might have formed on the point contact surfaces.

Posted on: 2023/2/9 20:30
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Kenken
See User information
All right thank you I appreciate that I will do that tomorrow after work cuz it's getting kind of late and I got to half an hour drive home so but I will definitely do that

Posted on: 2023/2/9 20:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
You see the wire from the ignition goes to one side of the coil. The other side goes to the post on the distributor.

Attach file:

jpg  20230209_222102.jpg (145.32 KB)
148538_63e5e36a637a3.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  20230209_221832.jpg (170.69 KB)
148538_63e5e375cf525.jpg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2023/2/10 1:26
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 10 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved