Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 107

29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 10 »

Re: Electrical systems
Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Its a ridiculous post.

Howard say JUNK whenever you want..

Attach file:

jpg  20230207_113646_(1).jpg (255.12 KB)
4498_63e2d5c88e540.jpg 1464X811 px

Posted on: 2023/2/7 17:50
Riki
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Aye, lads. 'Tis indeed, as RH Factor consuls, "a ridiculous post." Amen, squared and cubed-- oops, now we've introduced religion into the mix. I, too, ponder how disparaging the sea of junk on Bezostopia "political."

Sure now, dismissing anything untidy as "political" a convenient way of banishing it. And Bezostopia thrives on convenience, regardless the misery of those so marginally employed.

Whatever you do, do not go gentle into that good www.simanaitissays.com, another beloved website, which does not suffer a bit extending beyond the immediate, the wonderful, droll Dennis Simanaitis, long Road & Track's technical editor, he a member of the SAE.

Warning: P e r h a p s not appreciated if of the Branson/Dollywood/Fox mien, in the interest of preventing future such anguish as witnessed on this thread.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, i'm s t i l l....awaiting someone to tell this repeat Packard owner, specifically, how a Packard 384 & 473 incrementally better than Pierce 384 & 462, engine for engine.
Caution: Unlike certain "news" shows, helps if you've thorough knowledge, first-hand experience with both partie-- marques.

Again, here occasionally as traffic, you know, overpopulation, has my '47 wheeled alter ego and i under house arrest. I'm for busting out. Anyone with me?

PS. Would've sworn Packard once advertised in National Geographic, the New Yorker, Literary Digest. We know Packard's out of business.

But what happened to that echelon of Packard owners?

Posted on: 2023/2/8 2:19
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
I don't really see why anyone would buy electronics parts on eBay. I always go with DigiKey.

Capacitors I always buy Panasonic or Nichicon.

Posted on: 2023/2/8 8:46
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Kenken
See User information
So I'm still dealing with a no spark issue I have taken a Tesla and attaches to the negative side of the coil and the other end to the positive side of the coil he is on and there's nothing there's no light coming on nothing but if I take that test light still connected to the negative side the coil and I touch it to the engine block or any ground it lights up what do y'all think I'm kind of thinking ignition

Posted on: 2023/2/9 17:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Seems like it would be best to start from the beginning.

Here is a good guide:

Troubleshooting Points style ignition, JEGS

Remember that you have a postive-ground car, so when they say +, you want -, and vice-versa.

I remember wondering whether the coil you purchased from Autozone was for a 6V car, that would be important. Also making sure everything is wired correctly, again what you would think is the - is + and vice-versa.

Posted on: 2023/2/9 17:27
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Kenken
See User information
Yeah the coil that I got the new one is six volts it says it right on it I haven't put that in the car yet I just kept the existing one well one that was already in there in that it tested okay so they can it should be okay but so okay so the ignition wire that comes through the firewall hooks on the negative terminal of the coil correct also what's a good way to get the ignition out of the dash cuz I can't fit down on that floor to get up in there and that would be a good place to start too so just to make sure the wires are where they're going what it's you know the correct and they're good condition I mean I'm assuming they're okay because when you turn the key you're a click but there are some wires that were added I'm assuming it was in replace of some bad ones but I'm not entirely sure

Posted on: 2023/2/9 17:39
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
You can easily determine whether you have "juice" to the ignition after you turn the ignition on, there is the little wire that comes from the wiring harness/ignition switch, you can put a meter on it where it attaches, you can see if you get negative 6V when you turn the key on.

As to where exactly that wire goes, I would have to go out and look at my car, , I am embarassed but I cannot remember exactly, but I will take a picture of it late tonight and send it, but I am far away now. As to whether it goes to the "-" or "+", well if it was an original 6v positive ground coil, yes it would go to the "-", if it was a generic 6V coil, you might want to connect it to the "+" side. But in general I would be careful to mess too much with what is in the car already, without understanding it. You could look at the wiring diagrams that are included in the Service Manuals posted on this website as well.

Posted on: 2023/2/9 17:48
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Kenken
See User information
Yeah I mean absolutely be careful but I'm the coil that's on there right now obviously is not original so I'm thinking maybe that you said that that you said that they're reversed so I'm thinking maybe it's hooked up wrong cuz I hooked it back up to where it was hooked up before I took it off so I'm wondering maybe it's backwards

Posted on: 2023/2/9 17:52
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Coil will work either way but it is most efficient and have the hottest spark if hooked up properly. The terminal connections on the coil are determined by the way the battery is connected.

If your car still has the stock configuration with the battery positive post connected to ground, the wire from ign switch could connect to the coil - or negative terminal and coil + or positive terminal would go to the distributor. Negative ground cars would be the reverse.

Posted on: 2023/2/9 19:09
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Kenken
See User information
All right so as far as I know it's still the original configuration now when I'm looking at it which I am right now the ground strap connected to the block is going to the negative post on the battery and the positive post table is going to the starter does that make sense I mean I can put the negative battery cable on you know and it'll turn over but there's no spark

Posted on: 2023/2/9 19:26
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 10 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved