Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
90 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 89

Frogmagic, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Batwing air cleaner dual quad
Just popping in
Just popping in

Greg Shuster
See User information
Hi, I am looking for a dual quad air cleaner to install in my 56 golden hawk with the dual carb setup on the 352 Packard motor that came with this car. I’ll have to modify the heights so I am not looking for a fully restored one. Anyone have one for sale?

Posted on: 2023/2/12 13:12
 Top  Print 

Re: Batwing air cleaner dual quad
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
I do...PM me # to text photos to.

Posted on: 2023/2/12 14:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
There's a reason few have installed that on modified '56Js. When you figure out how to do it, please share step-by-step with photos.

jack vines

Posted on: 2023/2/13 13:24
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Because Packard batwings had a somewhat unique carb spacing and those cleaners are so rare, if you are going to need to modify the cleaner substantially anyway to make it fit under the hood I wonder if finding one that might be a bit easier to come by and modifying that would work better. Also wondering if it is even possible to modify one to make it fit since the pots are deep and need to clear the rockers. Because of that the entire assy is raised fairly high over the carbs yet the GH hood is so low. Have you looked into one of the dual carb universal elongated oval types? One of those might fit under the bumpout in the hood center without much work.

A few years ago a fellow published an article on other batwings with emphasis and spacings for various implementations geared toward Pontiac and GM models. I would think almost anything made for other than Packard would be more plentiful.https://www.trifive.com/attachments/aircleaner-batwing-guide-pdf.221878/

Posted on: 2023/2/13 13:47
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Good suggestion, Howard. I was about to say the same thing, but recommend after market air cleaners offered by Speedway and Summit. They would look attractive and would not take away from originality since the Hawks did not come with dual quads. No need to modify a rare Packard Batwing.

Posted on: 2023/2/14 13:17
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Contrary to what some seem to believe, 1950s Cadillac Eldorado dual quad batwings will drop right onto a Packard V8 Caribbean. No spacing issues. The big spacing issues are with Chevrolet batwings (BTW, original Chevy batwings and MoPar batwings are probably the rarest of all batwing air cleaners). Those are very different.

Simply turn the Eldo air cleaner around backwards and drop it onto the Packard Caribbean quads. But there are issues.

The differences are as follows:

• Cadillac batwing air cleaners mount in reverse position to Packards.

• SOME Eldo oil bath pots (the hanging cylindrical components) are larger (deeper and larger diameter) than Packard pots. The largest of the Eldo pots may rub on Packard valve covers.

• Cadillac Eldo pots attach with chrome pieces that were actually drawer pull knobs. Packards used wing nuts. Look for them in cars pictured online and in auctions.

• SOME Cadillac Eldo batwings also have a diecast chrome-plated "V" on top.

• MoPar batwings had extra ribs pressed into the top of the housings. No idea about their carb spacing.

Over the years I have had all of these at one time or another.

There are numerous Eldo batwings riding around on Caribbean V8s. A couple recently put up for auction with the sellers bragging the cars were "all original and complete" have had Eldo air cleaners.

Attach file:

jpeg  BatwingTopVU1955Eldo.jpeg (106.67 KB)
1249_63ed4a84e8d8c.jpeg 1224X733 px

Posted on: 2023/2/14 20:01
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
And... here is a MoPar batwing air cleaner... on an old Hemi.

Note the deep pressed-in ribs.

Attach file:

jpeg  BatWingAirCleanerMopar copy.jpeg (190.30 KB)
1249_64264e2c0f937.jpeg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2023/3/30 21:46
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved