Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
133 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 131

53 Cavalier, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

I think I'm up the creek, Anyone got a spare paddle?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

2T9-626
See User information
Okay, here goes!

I'm currently trying to restore a 1929 Model 626 Coupe. Currently the car has almost everything it left the factory with. Some exceptions being tires, certain interior pieces that get brittle with age ect. Anyhoo. The threads are literally GONE where the thermostat housing bolts up to the cylinder head. Okay I know it's not an actual thermostat due to the fact it has the rad shutters but it is where a thermostat would normally go on any other car. I really want to re-use the cylinder head. Is there anything I can do in the way of threaded inserts or SOMETHING. Could I epoxy threaded rod in? I could be grasping at straws here but I'm not sure what I can do.

Posted on: 2023/2/16 22:43
 Top  Print   

Re: I think I'm up the creek, Anyone got a spare paddle?
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
**topic moved to Pre-War forum***

I'm sure a helicoil would do the trick.

Posted on: 2023/2/16 22:58
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
And there are also solid sleeve threaded inserts that might withstand more pressure and have less water seepage than helicoils. Use those along with a good thread sealant when you install them and it should result in a strong and watertight repair.

What you can use would also depend on the overall condition of the head and how much workable and good metal you have around the bad holes. Anything you add will require drilling and tapping a larger hole for the insert or helicoil to thread into.

Posted on: 2023/2/16 23:20
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
I'd look into a helicoil. I've used them on my 60's Fords with pressurized cooling systems and they've never let me down....

Posted on: 2023/2/17 0:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I also used them on the aluminum head of my 1954 Patrician for the thermostat housing and with the proper gasket, no leaks at all.

Posted on: 2023/2/17 13:00
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved