Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
82 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 81

JD in KC, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Gauges Working Again!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill Clay
See User information
After I put my 57 wagon back together a few years back…I only had the Gen. light working. Recently I dove in underneath the dash. Found the oil warning light bulb and the parking brake warning bulb were burned out. Both were ok when I took car apart! So today I attacked the engine temp gauge. Found a defective sender was the issue. Had to lay across the left front fender half way into the engine compartment to get that little bugger switched out. Now onto to the nonopt fuel gauge.

Posted on: 2023/2/22 20:02
"I have a great memory for forgetting things"
Lee Chan
 Top  Print   

Re: Gauges Working Again!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill Clay
See User information
While I was under the dashboard , I replaced the instrument cluster voltage regulator. I just wanted to point out its location. It’s mounted on the back of the speedometer directly above the steering column. A real treat to reach I may add.

Posted on: 2023/2/23 23:29
Lee Chan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill Clay
See User information
Update, After checking out the fuel tank sender, I wasn’t getting any reaction on my meter. So I replaced the the tank sender, hoses, and wires. Turned car on and gauge still wasn’t working. Back under the dash I went with my meter. Found voltage pulses going into gauge but nothing on tank side. Replaced fuel gauge and viola! Gauge is working again! So nice to have all gauges and warning lights working as they should.

Posted on: 2023/3/10 14:43
Lee Chan
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
Where did you get the regulator? I believe I need one as my temp and gas gauge don't always work

Posted on: 2023/4/2 19:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
I've had problems with gauges in later model Fords (68 F-100)that proved to be the voltage regulator for the gauges. As I recall,it affected all the electric gauges except the ammeter, causing low readings, erratic readings, or no readings. Sometimes, slapping the dash helped. Replacing the regulator unit cured the problem.

Posted on: 2023/4/14 21:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
A loose ground can cause erratic gauge operation. The engine needs a secure ground to the frame and body, and the gas tank needs a secure ground to the frame and body. The dash panel and gauge cluster(s) also need a secure electrical ground. The gauges operate at very low voltage and current, and any poor connection can affect their operation. A bad ground may affect one or more gauges. A bad gauge voltage regulator usually affects more than one gauge, but not always. I don't think ammeters are affected by problems with the gauge voltage regulator, and some temperature gauges and oil pressure gauges are non-electric and thus unaffected. Most fuel gauges are electric except for some very early ones. Some gauges have a capacitor connected between the sensor unit and ground. A bad capacitor might affect gauge operation.

Posted on: 2023/4/14 21:11
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved