Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 153

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 443: Custom 8 or standard 8?
Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
From what I understand, there is very little difference between the Custom and the Standard 443. Even the body numbers are the same. Customs had sidemount spare tires and a wider range of color options. The Standard Catalog says the Custom was pricier, but then lists the base price on them both as being the same. So, basically, it appears that you bought a Standard, and if you ordered special color and sidemounts, you turned it into a Custom Eight.

Posted on: 2023/3/10 8:17
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Spencer B,

Beautiful Packard you have there

Posted on: 2023/3/10 8:57
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
West, according to the appendix for the 443 in Turnquist's book, the body numbers are NOT the same. #s 380 thru 389 for the Standard and 310 thru 319 for the Custom. Though factory list prices shown are the same, weights differ considerably, in some cases by a hundred pounds and more. See page 231 of his book.

Turnquist's book is not without some errors, we should also check the Kimes-edited book as well.

Posted on: 2023/3/10 11:23
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Spencer B.
See User information
The Kimes book, which I’ve also studied before coming here with this question, gives some additional information without actually answering how to differentiate between the two models. I’ll quote at length here as I think it includes clues but by my read no clear answers:

Quote:
“When the 443 debuted it was with the two fender-mounted spares as regular equipment but without provisions for optional rear-mounted spares. Requests for the latter must have been numerous, as an additional catalogue in March 1928 introduced the 443 “Standard Models” with them*….Interior trim was simpler, body color selections were limited to “a broad selections of beautiful combinations” - but not as broad as the other 443’s. As Alvan McCauley wrote his stockholders, the new Packards were ‘standard in design and therefore lower in cost.’”

Kimes also details lower prices for the standard models (with significant rolling discounts as the model year progressed).

While informative none of it really gets to the nub of my question of how to differentiate between the two models, if that is even possible.

* It’s unclear to me on this point whether Kimes is saying that the rear mounted spares were only optional, or standard, on the standard models. I think the more plausible read is that rear mounted spares were optional on standard 8 443s but unavailable on Custom 8s.

Posted on: 2023/3/10 12:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
If the Turnquist book is accurate, sounds like you need to find your body number, but I can't tell you where to find that. Start by checking underneath your passenger seat.

Posted on: 2023/3/10 15:34
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

5540Packards
See User information
Thanks for putting the pictures up that is certainly a beautiful car!

Posted on: 2023/3/11 7:21
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Spencer B.
See User information
Hey just thought I’d let folks know, I did eventually figure out the answer to this question with help from a member here who reached out to me. The earlier discussion about body numbers (312 for Custom 8 Runabout vs 382 for the Eight Runabout) was correct. I eventually found the number (with the help of this member) under the rumble seat pictured below. As you’ll see it is in fact an Eight, not a Custom 8, and the number (382-118), along with a September 1928 original sales date, would make me believe it was probably very late in the run for the Fourth Series.

Attach file:

jpeg  29027159-D543-49DC-9A6E-7124AB097084.jpeg (490.72 KB)
225065_644f31538effb.jpeg 1920X1624 px

Posted on: 2023/4/30 22:27
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved