Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
106 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 104

DM37, 54packpac, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Front seat cushion removal 54 Patrician
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

JuanS
See User information
I’m looking to reupholster my patrician. I did the back seats first because they were easy to remove. Due to the 4 way power seat, the front seat is extremely difficult to remove. I have removed the four bolts holding the seat to the body leaving only that pin. Is there a way to just remove the bottom and back cushion without having to remove that roller pin holding the entire seat in place? I can barely see under there. Thank you in advance.

Posted on: 2023/3/7 20:34
 Top  Print 

Re: Front seat cushion removal 54 Patrician
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Not sure what you mean by pin. But if it's like the manual seat, the seat back and front are held together by the two side bolts.

The is a info of me recently redoing my seat foam on my project blog.

If you wanted to pull those whole seat assembly out of the car, you can remove the bolts holding the seat tracks to floor and then you can pull the entire assemble out through the door.

Posted on: 2023/3/7 21:04
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Other than actual motors and electrical being quite different I don't know if the mechanical portion of the drive mechanism is that different from the 55-6 models. I doubt very many have seen the power 4 way 54 seat since the older hydraulic 2 way seat was more common. If you do take the seat out of the car perhaps you could post a few shots showing the mechanism and how the electrical and motors are laid out.

If you can see enough of your mechanism you might compare it to this illustration from the 55-6 parts manual. If it is similar, the fore/aft drive is connected to a plate welded to one of the tracks and seat can remove as an assembly. There are 4 bolts or nuts on the tracks on each side and then on drivers side but towards the middle of the car almost in line with the rearmost bolts for the tracks there is a single bolt holding the rear of the plate to the floor. Once all the bolts are removed and power disconnected the entire seat assy will come out the door (good idea to have a helper because it is bulky and HEAVY). Once out you can tip it up and the bottom cushion is probably held in the frame by bolts.

If you have the same pin and actuator setup as the 55-6, to remove the pin I found it was almost impossible to get a decent angle to drive it out with a hammer and the support the front pin goes thru is somewhat flimsy and would not stand a lot of hammering. I modified a large C clamp to drive the extractor tool and the pin.

No matter how you drive the pin out I think you will find the need to make the extrator tool as detailed in a service article. Once that was done, with the modified C clamp it was fairly straightforward. Also in the post linked above are some photos of the 55-6 motor and linear screws.

Attach file:

jpg  seat.jpg (247.16 KB)
209_6408023143aca.jpg 1616X1266 px

jpg  tool.jpg (151.75 KB)
209_640802408d315.jpg 1266X1310 px

Posted on: 2023/3/7 22:40
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The roll pins on the 4-way electric power seat for 1954 are very difficult to remove so if you don't need to remove the entire assembly, don't try! The cushion itself should lift off by pushing it back and up at the front and once out of the way, you should be able to access the screws holding the backrest in place.

My 1954 Patrician blog linked below should have quite a few photos of when I was removing the seat which, in this case, was the whole thing.

EDIT: I looked at the photos of the front seat on my blog and none were too detailed but farther along there was helpful text about removing the backrest.

Posted on: 2023/3/8 3:14
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Whoa, whoa, y'all are diving into needless complexity. The answer, as per Don, to the man's question is: pull up sharply on the front of the cushion and then lift it out of the seat frame. The back is held into the frame by two bolts at the bottom, accessible once the cushion is out. Remove those and lift up on the back to unhook it from the frame.

If you want to upholster the back you will have to deal with the rollpins etc but only after the cushions are out of the way.

Posted on: 2023/3/8 6:17
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

JuanS
See User information
Thank you all for the various responses. For now I’ll only remove said cushions and see from there. I don’t have the means to craft such a tool to pull those pins out. I appreciate it greatly! I’ll be sure to post images of the mechanism for those interested if I do get around to “crafting” a similar tool.

Posted on: 2023/3/8 8:27
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved