Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
80 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 79

Miguel Gallego, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1940 1808 Super Eight
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

todd landis wrote:
Thanks, yes it is totally original Auto Lite. Since I did it all myself years ago, can be sure all original. Yes the four terminal.

Here is the wiring diagram of the Autolite solenoid showing how the small and maybe hard to see jumper is connected.

Attach file:

jpg  40_41 Stock Autolite solenoid connection.jpg (57.62 KB)
209_640eaa4f8f598.jpg 800X546 px

Posted on: 2023/3/12 23:45
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: 1940 1808 Super Eight
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

todd landis wrote:
Will pull the cover off the overdrive relay.

There are two contacts in series inside the relay box that control the ign cutout circuit. Unless there is a bigger problem the OD relays are not energized with the car just sitting so the contact on the left labeled Ign Ct is closed anyway. The Secodary contact on the right labeled Ign Cutout 1 would be the suspect.

Ground enters on terminal 6, goes thru the relay box, and exits to the coil on terminal 2. Temporarily disconnecting either wire will completely eliminate any ground coming from or thru the OD from reaching the coil. If the engine still does not start, the OD as the cause of the problem would be eliminated.

Attach file:

jpg  R9 relay.jpg (62.44 KB)
209_640eabfc02488.jpg 640X573 px

Posted on: 2023/3/13 0:03
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved