Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
119 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 118

Packardbarry, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Engine numbers
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave O
See User information
Hi folks; I am still working on a 1950 Super eight engine number today. Although I cannot give you complete information today . I am looking for some guidance from those who might know. I found two block plates for engine info, on the drivers side. I could see maybe some info in one of these plates. It is on the drivers side way back above the starter. The second plate is just to the left of the distributor and because of paint I can see no markings . I checked your site for info and found that the markings I could see makes the engine a 1951-1954. however there are no bolt holes for the 1951-1954 to accommodate the two motor mounts for that area. I am a bit perplexed. I need more information for parts and etc..

Posted on: 2023/3/16 16:15
 Top  Print   

Re: Engine numbers
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Yes, the engine number is stamped on a flat boss on the driver side, usually up near the head and back above the starter but some years and models had it farther forward and/or lower on the block. It is always a stamped number, though, and should be preceded by a letter so best to remove the paint from the boss if it’s too heavily painted to read the number.

If cast with the side engine mount areas, it’s definitely 1951-1954 but the number will tell you exactly which year and model had it originally.

Posted on: 2023/3/16 16:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
A quick add to Don't post because I think he has a typo or extra word in the last sentence. If it DOES NOT have the bosses and holes in the lower block for the side motor mounts it is definitely pre 51. Without the motor number it is hard to say exactly what year the engine is because the only easily visible date is usually on the head and those can be swapped at will.

A not so easily visible date is low on the block so you might look at the date when the block was cast. It is located low on the block either below the starter or in a similar location on the passenger side. Can be on either end of block. Anything made before say early 1950 will most likely be a 23rd series or earlier. Anything later than mid 50 will probably be a 51 engine.

While the pre 51 models usually had the motor number stamped near the distributor there have been reports that Packard could have started using the rear pad on that particular block with 50 models. Some owners report their 23rd series 288/327 blocks had the numbers stamped on the pad above the starter.

You almost need to have the motor number to know exactly what year and size engine you have and whether there were any options. The hydraulic lifter option became more popular in the 23rd series and those engines generally had an H stamped as a suffix to the engine number. Other changes or options had different letters and a few even had a star designating some other change from original published specs.

If you do not already have it downloaded, the Engine Serial Number Reference has the numbers, what they mean and where to find them.

Posted on: 2023/3/16 16:39
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Good catch Howard and I corrected my post! I was trying to say it two different ways at the same time and got the phraseology mixed up.

Posted on: 2023/3/16 17:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Is it a 23 series '50 or a '24 series?
Some '50s were carry over '49s. Have a -5- in the number on the plate.
The where to look info should be in the list or manual for the series you have, don't remember which, should be on the drop downs on this site.

Posted on: 2023/3/16 20:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
23rd series is the second half of 1949 and all of 1950. Not so much a carryover as Packard always used series but by then the states would not allow going by series alone and required a model year designation so the 22nd series and the 23rd series were were split between three model years.

Posted on: 2023/3/16 21:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave O
See User information
Thank you everyone. I was able to sand off the paint today on both plates on the block. The one by the distributor was blank. The one above the starter I was able to pull the numbers off of. They were H407593. So this block must be one of the ones Howard described.

Thanks again.

Posted on: 2023/3/17 13:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
You can paste or type the engine number into the model identification form which shows it to be 23rd series (1949-1950) 327 with solid lifters and it will list the models for which it is appropriate.

Posted on: 2023/3/17 13:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Glad that's confirmed.
ps:
It would have had to be a later engine adapted in a "50", if was a 51-54 engine number as proposed.
I went back and checked the Neal book, to make sure, and there were ~23000 '49s that were unsold and renumbered as '50. The 23 series('49) started late as there were unsold '48s 22's as well(sold as '49s). '49 sales were short of projections and production was cut to allow for the normal '50 change over time period. Almost equal number 23 series in both year produced. '50>'49 produced, but more "'50s" for sale.
'50 production as 23's until end of Jul and 24th came in Oct. 24th would be '51. That book stops at '50, so I have no info on unsold '50s, etc. of later.

There were no "VIN"s required prior to '54. Each manufacturer had their own numbering until '68 FMVSS 115 enacted.
We found going back that some states, would title new in the year of sale, not the year of manufacture, so a lot depends when and where. eg; My uncle's '37 was really a '38 when I posted it's picture here according to the gurus, but was titled in OH '37. eg: GA didn't have titles until FED safety law in '64. Prior to '64, lots of GA et al cars with no titles, including my '49 2365 which came from GA. I had to apply in SC though their process. Until '69 all required it's a grey area.

Posted on: 2023/3/17 15:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
As stated in other posts, a VIN is still a Vehicle Identification Number even if it isn’t a standardized VIN. Here in California there is no distinction so on older vehicles the VIN could even be the engine number but there is a distinction between the build year and the model year. As a licensed VIN verifier, I need to be able to state definitively why the year is what is on the documentation which, on later Packards, is easy but no so on many makes where I have to research and sift through serial number charts.

Posted on: 2023/3/17 15:34
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved