Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
149 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 147

53 Cavalier, Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

51 200 fuel pump
Just popping in
Just popping in

Rebelagitator
See User information
All,
I have installed a new fuel pump from Kanter on my 51 200. Blew out the fuel lines, installed the pump and after numerous tries I am getting no fuel to the carb. The book talks about the rocker arm being in position on the cam.
I have turned the engine over with the pump out to see the cam turn. Is there a trick or a certain position the cam must be in before you install the pump?

Posted on: 2023/3/25 16:40
 Top  Print 

Re: 51 200 fuel pump
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
There is no trick to it and probably impossible to put it in incorrectly even if you tried. That said, with the pump out, try to take a look inside through the hole to check the condition of the cam lobe. Although I've never seen one worn so badly as to keep the pump from working, I suppose it's possible.

More likely is a collapsed hose at the pump or even a damaged pickup tube inside the tank. On the hose, even if it looks good on the outside, don't assume it is so check and/or replace it too if you haven't already done so.

As as aside, when installing the pump, make sure that the phenolic insulators and washers are in good condition so as to minimize vapor lock once you get it running.

Posted on: 2023/3/25 17:00
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
What Don said about the short flex hose. They can look perfectly fine on the outside but with old age and possibly hardening the inner liner can crack with the movement needed to disconnect and reconnect to the pump. A piece of the liner can move out and block the bore.

Another thing is to made sure the fuel line is clear and fuel can get to the pump. If the line was open for any length of time there are insects that love to find small open tubes like that to lay their eggs in. We have one locally that can build and thoroughly plug a hose or line within a day or so of it being left open.

If you have not done so already it might be a good idea to disconnect the fuel line into the pump and use a gentle push of compressed air to get fuel into the line. Have the air hose positioned in the opening and by holding your hand over the fill opening to close it off, let a bit of air pressure push fuel all the way to the pump. That can also be a good method to find any pinholes in the tubing. Any tiny opening that allows air to enter and the pump will pull the air instead of fuel.

The way the pickup tube is positioned inside the tank, if the fuel level in the tank is below about the third or halfway mark fuel will usually not run out on it own. It can sometimes take a considerable amount of cranking to get fuel all the way up to the pump if the line is completely dry.

Posted on: 2023/3/25 17:22
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Just as an illustration...Our 49 288 Miss Prudence will start immediately if driven earlier today or yesterday. If she sits for a week, it will take four, four second cranks for her to move fuel to the carburetor and then whe will start. Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2023/3/25 18:00
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Rebelagitator
See User information
Thank you very much for this information

Posted on: 2023/3/26 16:14
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Rebelagitator
See User information
Thank you very much for this information

Posted on: 2023/3/26 16:14
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Rebelagitator,
to PackardInfo.

I invite you to include your '51 200 in PackardInfo's Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: 2023/3/26 16:36
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
Quote:

Rebelagitator wrote:
All,
I have installed a new fuel pump from Kanter on my 51 200. Blew out the fuel lines, installed the pump and after numerous tries I am getting no fuel to the carb. The book talks about the rocker arm being in position on the cam.
I have turned the engine over with the pump out to see the cam turn. Is there a trick or a certain position the cam must be in before you install the pump?

How did you make out ? If you have an issue please call our customer service. They can help and aid you with installation.

Thanks
James From
Kanter Auto Products

Posted on: 2023/3/27 20:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
The rubber lines can also suck shut--they deteriorate from the inside out, and a half dozen times now I've had engines starve for fuel for no visible reason. Replace all of them just in case. It's not that difficult.

Posted on: 2023/3/28 5:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
When you put air in the tank check for leaks in the metal fuel line it could be rusted. Also a while ago I bought a 52 packard and the stone filter in front of the carb was so clogged up no fuel at all would go through it.

Posted on: 2023/3/28 6:50
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved