Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
169 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 168

53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Fender Covers
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
With the high crown and the large area of our car's front fenders in the pre-war and early into post war era the shape of regular fender covers do not fit well and leave a lot uncovered. Add to that the deep reach needed to do most maintenance in the engine bay and fender covers are a must.
I had the idea of looking for simple crib quilts for mine and then I realized I already had the perfect material and you may too.
The ladies in my life do not like old looking bed covers, as soon as they look worn or the room needs a colour change they turn them into rags or simply throw them away. Being of a frugal mind, I tend to rescue these and use them for car covers when doing work that may harm paint etc. or to lay on the garage floor with.
Looking at my stack in the garage I realized that if I removed the 'skirt' from the perimeter of a queen size spread and folded it in half length wise I could cut along that fold and end up with two quilted covers that now drape on the fenders giving complete coverage and stay in place quite well due to their broken in cotton lining.
I know they do not have a logo on them and will win no design award for looks, but they work great and are thick enough to withstand my fumbling in the motor compartment and keep my paint finish spotless.
I recommend checking with the boss first before doing any cutting on a bed spread not yet in the bin!
Bob J.

Posted on: 2023/3/26 15:29
 Top  Print 
Like (2)

Re: Fender Covers
Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
I use moving blankets, a couple of which came from Harbor Freight. Work pretty well. When I'm under the hood of the '37, I use a couple of small spring clamps to hold them fast to the flange at the hood/fender.

Posted on: 2023/3/26 16:03
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
Perfect! I love the clip idea, I am going to use that too!
Thanks.
Bob J.

Posted on: 2023/3/26 16:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CCR
See User information
I use the Harbor Freight blankets as well. I am trying to convince my daughter to make a template and make the slip-ons like I've seen in old photos but it's looking like I may need to do it myself. If I get around to making some I may try and make and sell them at a reasonable price for those interested.

After some of the reaching down I've had to do over the fenders I feel like I need a table I can lay on for comfort though since my built-in stomach padding seems to not be enough.

Posted on: 2023/3/26 20:19
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

wjames
See User information
Dido, on moving blankets. Cut in half, get so gal to sew a binder on the cut side, you got a washable fender cover. The 2" binder clips at Staples are cheap and seem to work well as well.

Posted on: 2023/3/28 13:35
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved