Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
82 user(s) are online (44 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 81

BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1947 Packard Clipper Info
Just popping in
Just popping in

Alvaro Negri Brazil
See User information
Hello friends,
I bought this Packard Clipper 1947 a few years ago and I need to regularize its documentation with the Brazilian authorities.
I need to know all the information about the vehicle such as the correct model name, serial number and any details you can provide me because in my country surviving Packard vehicles are rare.

Attach file:

jpeg  711710FE-AF8C-4CC7-9471-C1A9066E1B28.jpeg (66.96 KB)
226112_6421a7955c285.jpeg 821X912 px

Posted on: 2023/3/27 9:26
 Top  Print 

Re: 1947 Packard Clipper Info
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If your patent plate is still present and screwed to the cowl all the important vehicle identification numbers will be on that plate with the exception of the motor number. Packard only placed official numbers in a single location so if your patent plate is missing, there is no other place to find the pertinent vehicle number for the car. Also, if the engine has been swapped the original motor number will be lost. That is important because in some places registration was done by motor number instead of the official vehicle number.

A number similar to the official vehicle number may be found on a small tag on the engine side of the firewall as placed by the body builder. That number can differ from the official number by several digits depending on where the body was placed on the assembly line. A large embossed number is also on the firewall but it was never used outside the factory and surviving documentation to link that number to a specific car is no longer available.

On a 21st series 46-7 the motor number should be stamped on the engine block slightly below the head/block parting line and in the area around the distributor. Sometimes the motor number stampings were faint and they could be covered in dirt and grease. You may need to use a wire brush and do a good cleaning to find and read them.

On the last page of this service counselor is an article where Packard compiled and listed the range of all pertinent numbers for various years.

The chart at the bottom of this post is information from the Clipper parts manual showing the various Cipper body identification numbers and which chassis each model was build on. Those are the numbers that should be found on the patent plate.

The other chart posted here is not official but was compiled from various sources and put together -- mostly by BigKev -- as a reference to the size and details of the various engines by motor number. If your motor number does not start with the letter "F" as listed it is not the original motor.

Attach file:

jpg  Model ID.jpg (153.51 KB)
209_6421abd55e489.jpg 1920X1107 px

jpg  Motor numbers.jpg (80.56 KB)
209_6421b09bdc028.jpg 1920X338 px

Posted on: 2023/3/27 9:51
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Alvaro, I assume you have no documentation for the car, and need to get a new title/registration for it, correct?

Or you are trying to confirm the car is the correct one for existing documentation?

Posted on: 2023/3/27 11:30
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Alvaro Negri,
to PackardInfo.

Trust you'll be able to regularise the documentation for your Packard.

I also invite you to include your '47 Clipper in PackardInfo's Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: 2023/3/27 16:36
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Alvaro Negri Brazil
See User information
Quote:

humanpotatohybrid wrote:
Alvaro, I assume you have no documentation for the car, and need to get a new title/registration for it, correct?

Or you are trying to confirm the car is the correct one for existing documentation?

Exactly! I need the correct vehicle number to re-register with the Brazilian traffic department.

Attach file:

jpeg  60D5CE6A-A8C5-431E-96FB-BCC8137FEFF3.jpeg (236.04 KB)
226112_6422a9dbacffa.jpeg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2023/3/28 3:48
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Alvaro Negri Brazil
See User information
Quote:

Alvaro Negri Brazil wrote:
Quote:

humanpotatohybrid wrote:

Exactly! I need the correct vehicle number to re-register with the Brazilian traffic department.

Attach file:

jpeg  9F1FA89D-2941-4E5B-B06A-A96424E61CED.jpeg (411.10 KB)
226112_6422aa297fec7.jpeg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2023/3/28 3:49
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Alvaro, check if this plate is still on your car. If so, register it with the number on the plate (circled).
Click to see original Image in a new window
Click to see original Image in a new window

If that plate or number is missing, I would register it with the 652298 number shown in your picture. It's not the "correct" number, but I think the department there would be happy with it as long as you don't tell them that.

Posted on: 2023/3/28 7:19
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The 298 number is the anti-theft number and could get you through but typically this number isn’t used for registration. What was the 515 number you posted? That looks closer to the type of number that Packard used, at lease on earlier cars.

Posted on: 2023/3/28 12:33
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The 1515-2455 number is from a 1942 car:

Attach file:

jpg  ScreenShot 690.jpg (129.73 KB)
1_64232aa3619a5.jpg 1326X1768 px

Posted on: 2023/3/28 12:57
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The document the BigKev posted will also tell you if your car has the proper engine as it shows the range of numbers for that year and model.

Posted on: 2023/3/28 13:00
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved