Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
90 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 89

r1lark, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Rut sensitivity One Twenty
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Shock absorbers?

Posted on: 2023/3/30 16:25
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

pmhowe
See User information
I am fairly sure that your rut sensitivity is caused by your tire tread. Tires whose tread has only (or mostly) circumferential grooves tend to track with grooves in the road. It can be quite disconcerting. Here is a copy of a post by 32Pontiac6 from the AACA forums:

"One thing about tires is to look at the tread pattern.  I have three cars with three different tread patterns.  One that has the tread that only has grooves parallel to the road can track badly on concrete roads with grooves cut in them.  I have that problem here in CA with the tires on my '32 Pontiac with a wide tread pattern in the direction of travel."

Posted on: 2023/4/15 11:10
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
If your chassis is in good condition, most available tires should give good handling and tracking. An exception might be tires that are worn beyond about 80% of original tread depth, or worn irregularly.

If the entire chassis/suspension is in good working order, including all steering linkage, all 4 shocks, the steering box, as well as the rear springs and shackles and sway bars, etc, it might be of benefit to have the front end aligned by a person who has the correct specs on hand and who understands the Packard suspension system. I would suggest setting the caster and camber to the upper limit of the specification, and be sure the caster is the same on both sides, unless the specs call for a difference.

If you run the very low tire pressures reccommended for most older cars of the 30s through the 60s, try adding about 5 PSI to the recommended pressure. Avoid 6 ply tires or oversize tires. Any binding anywhere in the steering system can make driving straight very difficult. Be sure all working parts are properly lubricated, including the steering box, and be sure the various adjustments on the steering box are not too tight. Sometimes a car's body will settle slightly on the body mounts, and this can put the steering column in a bind. Loosening the column clamp at the dash will uusally relieve any bind. Loosen, then wiggle and bump the wheel, then retighten. Check for any indication of misalignment or binding where the column passes through the firewall.

Malfunctioning shocks on a soft-sprung car with independent suspension can make the car wallow like a drunken hippopotamus. Make certain that your shocks are all fully-functional and properly filled with the correct fluid, iof they are of the older type. Any shock bushings or links must be in place and in good condition.

Posted on: 2023/4/15 16:00
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved