Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
107 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 106

29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Rut sensitivity One Twenty
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Oberfranke
See User information
My 1936 120 Coupe is very sensitive to ruts. Then the steering needs full attention. Compared to my Ford Model A, the Packard is much more sensitive. When the road is ok, the car has very good straight-line stability.
Have you also observed this?

Posted on: 2023/3/28 14:59
 Top  Print 

Re: Rut sensitivity One Twenty
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
Could be several things. When does it occur?

Do pot holes or road high spots cause any issues or just ruts?

Do you have play(slop) with the steering wheel when the car is running or when it is off?

Gar

Posted on: 2023/3/28 16:38
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
With modern fully independent front suspension on the Packard versus the archaic fixed beam axle on the Ford, the Packard should by far have the better handling characteristics.

If you are observing the opposite, the Packard suspension warrants a very thorough inspection.

Posted on: 2023/3/28 16:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
May be play in center steering arm. Check up/down play, should be almost nothing.

New bearing may be needed

Thanks
James From
Kanter Auto Products

Posted on: 2023/3/29 6:42
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

longjohn
See User information
How worn are your tires?
You might try rotating back to front and seeing if it makes a difference.
I developed this problem several years ago. Putting a new set of tires on cured it.

Posted on: 2023/3/29 18:31
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Steve Mackinnon
See User information
Having had two jr. Packards (had a 39 120 sedan, have a 40 110 conv coupe now) and two Model As (had a 30 sedan, 30 roadster now) I thought this was interesting.

I noticed some sensitivity to irregularities in the road with my Packards as well, but also realized the average speed in the As is usually around 30, 35. We go further and faster in the Packard and 45, 50 is not out of line on many roads here in New England, nor is rough condition from our winters. Just wonder if perception is possibly skewed a bit as that is not apples to apples if you drive the cars a bit differently as we do.

Posted on: 2023/3/30 9:21
Steve Mackinnon
1939 Packard 120 Sedan (sold)
1940 Packard 110 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
In addition to worn or loose linkage, if the caster angle is a bit out of spec doesn't that also cause the wheels to want to follow a rut.

Posted on: 2023/3/30 10:07
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I only ever had the problem on a motorcycle that had the treads that were radial around the circumference that wanted to follow the slightly zigzag anti-skid cuts that pavement sometimes had in the ‘70s. I drove my 1940 110 all the time at highway speeds and never noticed it but that was with rebuild front suspension and new tires so as others have indicated, looseness is the first thing to check.

Posted on: 2023/3/30 12:59
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Oberfranke
See User information
Thank you very much.
The steering has hardly any play. The wheel bearings have also been renewed. The tyres are older, but the tread is like new.
The problem only occurs when there are ruts in the asphalt on older roads. For example, caused by trucks.
I'll have the camber checked again.

Posted on: 2023/3/30 14:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Are you running bias ply tires? The roads here are frequently rutted. I installed radials and experienced a huge improvement in handling, especially at speed.
Best of luck....

Posted on: 2023/3/30 15:18
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved