Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
119 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

The dreaded die cast ignition switch bezel
Just popping in
Just popping in

DneprCowboy
See User information
First off, a big thanks to all that post fixes on forums. I am very indebted to you all. And on that front....

I had the unfortunate surprise of the disappearing ignition switch a couple weeks ago. Looking at past posts and looking around the shop, I settled on jb welding a short length of 3/4" EMT onto the original design and let sit for a day. The original die cast metal needed a little manipulation as it wasn't quite round. Careful with the pliers or.....Then the tubing was a little small so onto a solid piece of pipe and hit with a hammer to enlarge. After glue dries, abuse the Dremel tool aluminum head finishing tools and back in business goes the old Packard.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_20230315_124438.jpg (152.59 KB)
225893_64249d211dd26.jpg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2023/3/29 15:19
 Top  Print 

Re: The dreaded die cast ignition switch bezel
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If it works that is great but most of the cars have a hole in the dash metal with a couple of notches, one of which is positioning or anti-rotation. The hole is only a few thousandths larger than the original bezel circle dimension. Not being able to get the bezel back in the car without greatly enlarging the hole and losing the notch has generally prevented doing the type repair you have done.

If you could figure a way to place the damaged bezel in the car and then easily install and affix the repair collar over it yet still be able to remove the collar and take out the bezel again if needed you would have a lot of grateful owners.

Posted on: 2023/3/29 16:19
Howard
 Top  Print 

Re: The dreaded die cast ignition switch bezel
Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
You need to put a step on it cause it won't lock.

With a flat arm.

Posted on: 2023/3/29 23:38
Riki
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved