Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
121 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 120

Bob J, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1948 Station Sedan; Speedometer Issue
Just popping in
Just popping in

Jon Kanas
See User information
I just got my 1948 Station Sedan running this week (first run since last used in 2010). The speedometer produces a significant howl and very erratic needle behavior at all speeds.

I have disconnected the speedometer cable from the back of the speedometer head. I observed foul, sticky lubricant residual on the cable, therefore I have lubricated the cable with Automatic Transmission fluid and left the cable positioned such that the lubricant will drain into the cable.

I have not driven the car since I disconnected the cable, so have not isolated to noise specifically to either the cable or speedometer head.

I request assistance / advice on the following items:

When I removed the cable from the speedometer head, the internal part of the cable did not come out of the head immediately, so it is now about 1/2" longer than it should be, and is preventing me from reinserting the cable onto the back of the speedometer head. Is the speedometer cable separate from it’s housing, and should I be able to pull the cable completely out of the housing for inspection and lubrication?

Is it likely that the inner cable has pulled out of it's home at the transmission end, therefore need to remove the cable from the transmission and reseat the cable?

If I determine that the cable should be replaced, is it typical to replace the cable and housing as a unit, or replace only the inner cable?

If I determine that the speedometer head requires a rebuild, how do I remove it from the instrument panel? Is the panel that contains the speedometer, instruments and clock removed from the dash, or do I remove the speedometer from under the dashboard?

Thanks in advance

Posted on: 2023/3/31 15:45
Best Regards,
Jon B Kanas
eMail: kanas@qadas.com

Longmont, Colorado; Cultural Center of the Universe
 Top  Print 

Re: 1948 Station Sedan; Speedometer Issue
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The actual cable removes from the housing and is square on both ends. You might want to pull it all the way out and check for kinks or broken strands as well as completely relube it. The cable is floppy and dirty so be sure to coil and try to keep it under control as you pull it out. A cover over the upholstery and extra rags would not hurt because if the cable flops out of control grease will go everywhere.

To reinsert the cable there is another square socket on the transmission pinion adapter end that the square cable end slides into. To get the cable back in the hole you may need to rotate as you gently push inward.

On the speedometer it sounds as if the input bushing is dry and needs a few drops of oil but also to be considered is the old grease on the odometer gear train could be hard as a rock and is causing the issue. When oiling did little good on my 47 I found the dry grease was the bigger issue. At any rate, get the problem corrected or the jerking and needle flucation can get so bad the needle breaks off.

The speedometer comes off the cluster as a unit. It is held to the cluster by screws and once the screws are removed the outer case with mechanism inside can be lifted out. Once off the cluster a couple more screws should free the outer cover letting the mechanism slide out. You will be fighting wires around the cluster and may need to do some twisting and tilting to get the speedo face clear of the cluster opening. You also need to be careful not to catch the needle or face on the edge of the hole in the cluster as it slides out. If the old wire loom is still in use it is probably hard and brittle. Try not to bend or move the wires too harshly or the old rubber insulation under the fabric could crack and fall off in chunks.

Here is a photo BdeB provided of a badly rusted cluster showing the rear. There is an oil hole in the square bumpout where the cable connects. It has a felt wick but with a needle applicator drop a few drops of oil in the opening and let if sit for awhile to work down. You can twist a small screwdriver blade inserted in the square cable opening to see if the oil did any good. If not, try a few more drops and wait again. If that does not help and you need to completely remove the speedo look for several retaining screws around the case which hold it to the cluster. A couple are visible in the photo and are circled in white but there should be more. One or more light sockets may also need to be removed as well as the trip odometer reset knob from the dash edge if your car has that feature.

If there are still issues and you need to send it in for repair Bills Speedometer Shop is owned by a forum member and comes recommended. He has done several Packard speedos for other posters on the forum.

Attach file:

jpg  22-23 cluster rear.jpg (175.59 KB)
209_642750a4d6ce9.jpg 1481X765 px

Posted on: 2023/3/31 16:35
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Jon Kanas,
to PackardInfo.

I invite you to include your '48 Station Wagon in PackardInfo's Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: 2023/3/31 17:32
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Re: Packard Registry
Just popping in
Just popping in

Jon Kanas
See User information
Is there a quick way to determine if I have placed my Packards on the registry you mentioned?

Please advise; Not urgent.

Posted on: 2023/7/23 23:27
Best Regards,
Jon B Kanas
eMail: kanas@qadas.com

Longmont, Colorado; Cultural Center of the Universe
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Jon,

Go to the Main Menu(See Screen Shot below) and select "Vehicle Registry".

Your '48 Standard Eight Station Sedan is certainly there as it's the first one listed among the most recent Packards added to the Registry.
for including it.

As well as thanks for including your '32 Light Eight Roadster Coupe and '32 Light Eight Sedan.

In fact many for including all your Packards.

Attach file:

jpg  Main Menu.JPG (30.24 KB)
226_64be2468b59ff.jpg 188X666 px

Posted on: 2023/7/24 2:12
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved