Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
133 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 132

Joe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Need 1941-47 Clipper rear transmission snubber grommets
Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Posting this on General forum since both pre- and postwar part. Where do you go for such grommets? Steele has the exact grommets with a superfluous lip, because on the 9/16" thick rod, under compression at that, it's not like they're going to shift. Not paying $70 for what are otherwise four (4) simple rubber grommets.

1 1/4 inches diameter, 9/16th inch hole, about 3/8" thick, but a minimum 1/4", judging by the below pictures. Mine under the car are obviously squished a little after 76 years of compression so hard to determine original thickness.

Section 5.1504, Packard part "insulator," # 348945

Here's a link picturing the snubber:

https://www.google.com/search?q=1947+Packard+snubber&rlz=1C1UEAD_enUS970US971&oq=1947+Packard+snubber&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60l3.8317j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=gUt_0LC7kMvf6M

I tried to attach photo only 854 kb but am rewarded with:

"Errors Returned While Uploading file: snubber.htm
File of MIME type: text/html is not allowed"

Posted on: 2023/4/13 12:11
 Top  Print   

Re: Need 1941-47 Clipper rear transmission snubber grommets
Home away from home
Home away from home

ScottG
See User information
My first thought for reasonably priced hardware is McMaster-Carr who lists many different rubber grommets. You will have to spend some time combing through their charts to see if they stock a grommet with the combination of measurements you need.

Posted on: 2023/4/13 12:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Thanks, but Packarding 49 years, have long known about McMaster, Grainger, et al. I don't want to buy a crate of them.
Only wanted to know what, precisely, any here gathered have used, where they got them.

We're talking about rubber grommets, for cryin' aloud, not some complex Packard specific item someone had to tool to reproduce.

Posted on: 2023/4/13 14:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
McMaster let's you buy in relatively small quantities now.

Here's one that might work(?)

box of 10 is $11.25

McMaster-Carr grommet, 9/16" hole diameter

Posted on: 2023/4/13 14:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
If your city is large enough you might find a rubber supply company as I did and and ask if they would be kind enough to sell you a scrap the correct thighness, then all it takes is a hole saw and a speed bore.

Posted on: 2023/4/14 12:05

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved