Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
214 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 213

Oldcaddies , more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Back up Light Bulb
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave O
See User information
Hello to all. On an 1950 Super eight, what number bulb is used for the back-up light?. I checked the 23rd series manual, it's not listed. I checked 24 series no listing. After dissembling the light there was no bulb in the socket. As I am pulling new wires as I go along, I found it interesting there is no wiring information in the wiring schematic. No colors or wire sizes in the schematic for the 22,23 24 series for the back-up light switch. Or where to get the power from. My current plan is to get power from the accessory breaker. But I still need a bulb number. Can anyone help?.

Dave O

Posted on: 2023/4/17 15:39
 Top  Print   

Re: Back up Light Bulb
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Can't help with the bulb number but surely someone else will be able to post it. For what it's worth, in 53 and 54 it was #1133

Back up lights were optional and until 53 when some common options started becoming more standard and made it onto the basic wiring diagrams, Packard usually provided option or accessory wiring only with the instructions on how to install the option.

I do not know who originally posted this info but here are the instructions for installing back up lights on the 22-23 series. Packard shows power coming off the tail light terminal of the headlight switch which would mean they will only work at times when the parking or headlights are on.

Attach file:

jpg  22-23 Back Up light install 1.jpg (265.68 KB)
209_643db96970533.jpg 1920X1484 px

jpg  22-23 BackUp light install 2.jpg (179.36 KB)
209_643db973d195a.jpg 1484X1920 px

Posted on: 2023/4/17 16:36
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
According to the Parts List for your year, Page 133 of 'Electrical' lists under; Back-Light:
Bulb-Light Group 401254, Part # 439015
Detail: Mazda 1133

Posted on: 2023/4/17 16:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave O
See User information
Howard:; that would make sense, as you wouldn't need a light in the day time. And thank you, Bob J. for the number.

Thanks again
Dave O

Posted on: 2023/4/17 17:00
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Gary49eight
See User information
Just a suggestion, you could take power from the ignition switch, then to the switch on the reverse linkage. That way it will work without the head/tail light being on, and if you park the car leaving it in reverse, the reverse lights won't stay on and drain the battery.
Gary

Posted on: 2023/4/18 5:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Interesting that the Factory Parts List shows the Mazda 1133 pn 439015 as also fitting 1955 and 1956 when it is 6v and those cars are 12v!

Posted on: 2023/4/18 12:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
The electrical diagram is on here under "literature archive" tab. There's no "back-up" light shown, in 23 series.
Are you perhaps referring to the license plate light in the top of the bumper? Those are powered by the headlight switch.

Any back-up light would normally be wired through a reverse switch.

There's a 12V equivalent of the 1133.

Posted on: 2023/4/19 8:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Quote:
There's a 12V equivalent of the 1133.

Of course but it's not an 1133. For 12v, it would have a different number so odd that the parts book lists the 6v bulb for 1955-1956.

As for the backup light, it's an accessory that was typically added by the dealer so would not be shown on the main wiring diagram. As Howard indicated, it wasn't until around 1953 or so that it was first shown there.

Posted on: 2023/4/19 13:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave O
See User information
I agree there is nothing listed for it under the wiring diagram, that's why I posted it. Howard provided me the wiring info for this accessory, for the 22, 23, 24 25 series, as this was an add on option from Packard.

To others I am going to power it from the Head light switch as it was supposed to be. To add it so the ignition switch, which was suggested and is a bit over crowded to begin with, I'd also have to fuse it so I'm going to sick with what Packard thought was good.

Dave O

Posted on: 2023/4/19 15:26
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved