Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
133 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 132

TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

53 patrician power booster rebuild
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

tom abel
See User information
rebuilt the tredle vac on a 53 patrician.
with car running you barely touch the pedal and it goes to the floor like something is pulling it aka vacum.i havent bled the system yet is this normal or should i take it back out and look at something wrong in the booster rebuild? thanks for any answers.

Posted on: 2023/4/22 20:54
 Top  Print   

Re: 53 patrician power booster rebuild
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Do you have fluid in the unit and it is just not bled and nothing is left unconnected? if no fluid or an open line there is no resistance so vacuum will pull the pedal to the floor. If there is fluid conceivably there could be enough air in the lines and wheel cylinders that is being compressed to give the extra movement. Normally with the shoes properly adjusted there will be a max stroke of about 1 inch from relaxed to the brakes being fully locked. The brake system is sensitive and there is not much pedal movement needed. This is shown in a 53 or 54 commercial available on Youtube where the driver barely touches the pedal as the car is brought to a smooth stop.

Posted on: 2023/4/22 22:01
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Sounds normal for an unfilled unit as the vac boost is very strong and you have no resistance. But the instant you take pressure off the pedal it should stop moving and come back.

Posted on: 2023/4/23 7:09
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

tom abel
See User information
thank you all for your input. hopefully i will get to bleeding this week and all will be normal.

Posted on: 2023/4/23 14:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
I remember being surprised how little brake travel there was on my 400 when I first drove it. Unlike cars without power brakes from the time, but also unlike cars of today.

Part of the selling point was having the brake pedal even with the gas, for faster reaction time. So naturally not much travel since the piston is in the floor.

Posted on: 2023/4/23 15:51
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
My 1954 Patrician’s pedal feels my foot coming toward it and stops the car. Exaggerating of course but it is very touchy.

Posted on: 2023/4/23 15:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Yes, I read on a post he made that the previous owner of my car, when he had the power brakes rebuilt, asked the guy to make it less touchy. So now it takes pretty much the same force as regular brakes, just way less travel.

It was some guy in Florida rebuilding them, don't remember who.

Posted on: 2023/4/23 19:10
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved