Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
137 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 136

Tom (Packin31), more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1935 packard 111
Just popping in
Just popping in

Pat.fallot
See User information
I recently inherited my fathers 1935 Packard 111. I have helped work on it for my entire life but I am now going to be doing maintenance and repair now onward. Overall the car is in great shape but needs a couple of little things to improve the ride.
Firstly is there a site you can recommend for maintenance info and parts?
Secondly the front drivers side door is not opening when the handle is turned but it works on the inside. I took it apart and seems like the inner handle square is no longer square. Any suggestions on a fix?
Thank you for any insight and help. I am looking forward to being a Packard owner for a long time.
-Pat

Posted on: 2023/4/28 10:45
 Top  Print   

Re: 1935 packard 111
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
This site has a wealth of info. Look to the literature archive on the main menu and sort by year. You will likely find all you need.
On the driver's door issue. That is the one that takes all the abuse so not surprising it is worn, the first 80 years is always the hardest on a car!
I am not sure of the part you are indicating, but I suspect it is either the square part in the door latch mechanism that is 'rounded' or the square shaft on the handle itself is no longer square.
The proper fix of course is to get a new/working used one. Take close-up pictures and use the part list available on this site to quote a part number and post it in the parts wanted section on the forum.
Likely someone here who is a member can get it for you. The other option is to get hold of Max Merritt or Kanter and replace the faulty part with a used good one.
Since you indicate 'front' door I assume you have a 4 door model. In the meantime, disassembly of it may find a quick temporary fix by swapping out the rear door part. If the handle is on the same spot, then the driver's rear, if it is suicide style (opening from the front and hinging at the rear) then it may be the passenger's side. It would mean that that door would be compromised, but less of an issue than the driver's.
This is just a suggestion as I do not know if this is even possible as I am not familiar with your car or the 4 door model, but knowing manufacturers as I do they tend to use as many common parts as possible. A close inspection may lead you to a short term answer. With the rear doors being used so much less than the fronts it will likely be like putting a new part in! It may allow you to use the car easier while awaiting the proper repair parts.
Good luck!
Bob J.

Posted on: 2023/4/28 11:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Another excellent resource for parts and information is David Flack (flackmaster). He is a frequent contributor to the forum and specializes in the 110-115-120 models.
flackmaster@sbcglobal.net

Posted on: 2023/4/28 11:40
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Pat.fallot
See User information
Thank you for the quick responded. It is in fact a 4 door car with suicide doors. As I learn more about the model and other info I will be sure to post it with my questions moving forward.

I suspect it is the square part in the door latch mechanism. I changed the handle from the passenger side and still same issue so the handle seems to be ok. Oddly the back door had a different length shaft. I will take it apart this when I have time and I will post it on the parts wanted section. If not available quickly I will do as you suggest and sacrifice the back door.
I also included a picture of the car in that is helpful to anyone.

Attach file:

png  packard .PNG (624.26 KB)
226147_644bf8a586111.png 295X640 px

Posted on: 2023/4/28 11:47
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Curious what the model number is on your Vehicle Number plate. A 111 doesn't appear to match the 8xx schema used in 1935.

Posted on: 2023/4/28 12:10
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Looks like a 120 touring sedan

Posted on: 2023/4/28 17:14
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Pat.fallot
to PackardInfo.

I invite you to include your '35 120 Touring Sedan(?) in PackardInfo's Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: 2023/4/28 21:28
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved