Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
212 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 212

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Lifter tester
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
If you ever wanted to test your own lifters at home per my video on youtube, I have made a copy of my machine on a rainy Sunday afternoon. Be the first on your block and prepare for the thronging crowds. The perfect gift for those who despise repeated cylinder head removals.

Accepts 356, 327, and 359 style lifters.

$200--only because it took that long....

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_0522.JPG (229.06 KB)
618_644fae13c6e73.jpg 1920X1079 px

Posted on: 2023/5/1 7:19
 Top  Print   

Re: Lifter tester
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Does in come in a choice or colors?

Posted on: 2023/5/1 7:51
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Will it work on the 327 and 359 lifters too? If so, I want one!

Posted on: 2023/5/1 15:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
I would like this, but only for basically doing this once, hopefully in May. Then I'd let it go to another for whatever the costs are.

Packard Don - note that Ross said it works for 327, 356, and 359 lifters, and since the 288 and the 327 were essentially the same, I guess if a 288 had hydraulic lifters it would work for those too.

Posted on: 2023/5/1 16:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Ross, do they come with an empty SPAM can? Even better a full one that needs to be emptied?

On a serious note, for a car with a noisy lifter that has recently been started back up, after not running for many years/decades, how long does a person wait/hope that the lifter is only sticky, and will free itself up, before cleaning and testing the lifters?

Posted on: 2023/5/2 0:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
My 1954 Patrician that was fully rebuilt including new lifters, driven as an everyday car and on club tours, then was abruptly parked over 40 years ago and recently brought back to life. When cold, it has a noisy lifter which goes away after it warms up. Based on the sound on mine, I think it’s a sticky valve rather than a bad lifter so without hearing yours, it’s difficult to say.

Posted on: 2023/5/2 1:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

Packard Don wrote:
My 1954 Patrician that was fully rebuilt including new lifters, driven as an everyday car and on club tours, then was abruptly parked over 40 years ago and recently brought back to life. When cold, it has a noisy lifter which goes away after it warms up. Based on the sound on mine, I think it’s a sticky valve rather than a bad lifter so without hearing yours, it’s difficult to say.

Here's a couple of videos. The FB post is from when the car was first started, so very little run time or tuning. The video of the lifters is a couple weeks later after running it more and getting it tuned better. A sticky valve is certainly a possibility.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/170699753756/permalink/10159826976128757/?sfnsn=mo&ref=share&mibextid=6aamW6

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GP24x44QBN-ww6j8Tll6vkgHY_nT-PsD/view?usp=drivesdk

Posted on: 2023/5/2 2:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Wat will give it a home. Fred will watch over it.

I got a mess of lifters . . . .

Posted on: 2023/5/2 4:33
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Seems I will have to actually go and buy some steel as I made up the first from some scrap and demand is mounting.

After a long sleep I would expect an empty lifter to silence in less than 15 minutes.

Probably good to PM me if you want a tester so I'm sure we get hooked up.

Posted on: 2023/5/2 7:15
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Bump. And one more left in stock. $220 shipped in the 48.

Order today and I will include one full can of (ersatz) spam.

Posted on: 2023/5/24 11:31
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved