Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
162 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 161

Miguel Gallego, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: 51 Straight 8 overheating problem
Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Rebuilding the engine is unlikely to affect the overheating problem. There is a cause for the overheating. Identify the cause before attempting any cures.

Posted on: 2023/5/9 16:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Packards do not overheat by any reason of flaws in design. They have a far better cooling system design than the flathead Ford V8s. If the engine overheats, there is a problem, or problems, and it's most likely that the problem or problems are in the cooling system.

Posted on: 2023/5/9 16:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Having made mistakes before based on "I checked that", though I actually hadn't checked it, or hadn't checked it correctly, it sounds to me like something you think you have checked isn't actually "correct" or "good".

It sounds like that water is getting into the radiator, because the radiator is getting hot, but that water isn't circulating in the block.

That makes me think that the inlet or the outlet to the pump is blocked. Perhaps the pump gasket is misaligned and blocking where water goes into the head. Perhaps as some have said the lower hose is collapsing or blocked. Or - since you put a new radiator in, perhaps there is something at the bottom of this new radiator that is blocking the inlet to the pump, or as some have said, the tubes are blocked.

My engine, which is a 327 essentially the same as your engine, after you start it takes about 1/2 hour or more to get up to "1/2" on the temperature gage, in typical 60 degree weather. That's with a radiator that has been "rodded out" but not recored, and has a few tubes which are clogged.

Posted on: 2023/5/9 18:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good morning. We. had similar problems. After all the normal cleaning did not fix the problem we pulled the head and found the gasket was leaking between the center four cylinders. New gasket made things right. Ernie in Arizona.

Posted on: 2023/5/10 11:38
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Doug, here is an example head gasket test kit they are talking about.
https://www.amazon.com/Block-Tester-BT-500-Combustion-Leak/dp/B06VVBSFTF/ref=sr_1_13?keywords=head+gasket+test+kit&qid=1683763171&sr=8-13

If you've never had the heads off, this is worth investigating I think. This guy had a seemingly undiagnosable problem with his BMW i8, a car that cost $150,000 new. Turned out to be a bad head gasket, only way to tell was a CO2 test in the coolant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vOsU2J5MAo

Posted on: 2023/5/10 19:03
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Because it's frightfully easy to do, I'd pull the t-stat and reassemble it and run it for a bit. I'm of the opinion that, if the cooling system is okay, then it wouldn't come to temp. No engine I have ever run would without a t-stat. If it doesn't get hot, then I think you could rule out the cooling system and investigate something else, like a blown head gasket.

Posted on: 2023/5/11 11:58
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Reading through this long thread, I did not see any mention of retarded ignition timing nor a vacuum leak. Both can contribute to an engine running hotter than normal. I think the problem trying to be addressed is on the wrong path. Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2023/5/11 13:12
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Note this post from someone who had similar mysterious trouble. The problem was the water pump installation

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=26864&post_id=257100#forumpost257100

Posted on: 2023/5/19 12:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Just had in a 53 Patty for a wakeup call. Oh did she run HOT--couldn't put your hand near the exhaust manifold to adjust the carb--and it would not idle. Found there was no gasket under the carb so it was burning a lot of very lean mixture in order to run.

Posted on: 2023/5/19 20:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
I's also want to check the distributor advance mechanisms and initial timing on that car.

Posted on: 2023/5/20 8:54
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved