Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
94 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 93

Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

8 volt battery
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

bullsh--ter
See User information
Has anyone tried to use 8 volt battery and adjusted the regulator up to compensate?
A friend with a 41 ford flathead done his and has not had any problems and it sure cranks a lot faster giving him faster starting.

Posted on: 2023/5/6 17:43
 Top  Print 

Re: 8 volt battery
Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
I'd stay with six volts. If you have a slow cranking issue you have a problem somewhere, such as a worn out starter, defective or undersized cables, poor electrical connections, a weak or undersized battery, or a charging system that is not doing its job.

Going to an 8 volt battery may mask one or more of these problems, but it can be expected to cause some issues, among them being an overworked generator, more stress on the starter, shorter life for light bulbs, radio and other accessory issues, ignition point problems, and possibley gauge issues.

Posted on: 2023/5/6 18:13
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
From time to time this subject has come up and going to an 8v battery was a fairly common thing to do back in the day as cars got older and maintenance slacked off. Many posters on the forum say it is not necessary and this is true if the engine and electrical systems are kept in good working order. If there are issues, 6v ignition systems are somewhat unforgiving of voltage loss that can be caused by dirty connections or too small a wire.

If the engine is tired the slightly faster cranking can help or if the electrical system, particularly the connections, might be in less than decent condition the extra 2v can make enough difference to compensate for small voltage loss from bad connections. Any loss can lower the voltage available to the coil enough that the spark becomes erratic.

You do need to make sure bulbs are rated 6-8v and in some cases radios are stressed since battery voltage directly powers tube filaments and the extra 2v will be felt. Many radio shops won't even work on radios if they are in an 8v car.

Posted on: 2023/5/6 18:34
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Definitely not worth the trouble. I tried this on my 38 Six for 4 years and it cranked better but just about fried the ammeter and wiring. Fix the original 6V system and it will be much better in the long run. I would put in a later model higher torque starter motor if you do not have one already. This topic has been dealt with previously and is worth visiting. Peter Toet

Posted on: 2023/5/6 18:34
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Also your 6v bulbs will have a much shorter life.

Posted on: 2023/5/6 19:42
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning...On our 1949 deluxe 288, we added a second ground of 00 gage to the frame and did the connection to the battery with a Marine Terminal from NAPA. The six volt system began to crank Prudence's engine a good bit faster. Might be something for you to consider as it does not mess with the system as designed. Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2023/5/7 13:01
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

bullsh--ter
See User information
Thank's for all the good advice. I am still playing with the idea as I have already replaced cables and terminals but I always have that feeling it might not start. So far it starts evey time.

Posted on: 2023/5/7 17:46
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
What size cables? Do you also have a ground strap between the engine and frame?

Posted on: 2023/5/7 18:00
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

bullsh--ter
See User information
I have the braided ground strap from the battery positive to the frame and from there to the engine. I have a very heavy cble to the starter solenoid and .2 voltage drop, Ithink I have poor connection in the solenoid and will be replacing it when I have time.

Posted on: 2023/5/8 20:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Where are you guys locating the ground strap from engine to frame? I'd have to go back and check, but I don't think I've got one on the Panama.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2023/5/9 13:30
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved