Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
221 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 219

Peter Packard, moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

Electricaal issue ..41 Packard no current
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jimmyk
See User information
me again..so I got my 41 coupe running great…had been running it a little bit every day for a week while I finished bleeding the new brake which I did today. When I went to start it…it was very weak and just stopped…then interior lights went dim and it seemed like a dead battery…to the leads off and have full voltage….have power going to starter and 6 volts going into the voltage regulator…completely dead now..no interior lights …I don’t know what happened..the horn is getting 6 volts but no longer working at steering wheel…it’s like something was slowly draining the power ..voltage at starter but not at selenoid when key on…could it be the voltage regulator…please help!! Thanks!

Posted on: 2023/5/9 18:56
 Top  Print   

Re: Electricaal issue ..41 Packard no current
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jimmyk
See User information
I should add that power was at starter but nothing at selenoid when hitting ignition..

Posted on: 2023/5/9 19:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
You may have a discharged battery. (Or a very poor connection somewhere, probably at the battery)

A car battery can be so discharged that it won't operate a horn or starter solenoid, yet it can still give a voltmeter reading of 6 volts, IF there is no load applied to the battery.

Try connecting your voltmeter as before and if you get a reading of 6 volts, turn on the headlights and take another look at the voltmeter. You may find that it reads zero. If so, charging the battery overnight may fix the immediate problem. I would clean the battery terminal connections and look for evidence of other loose or corroded connections such as the battery ground connection. When you get the car running again, be sure to check the ammeter with the engine running at at fast idle. It should show a charge rate of several amps, and turning on the headlights with the engine at a fast idle should not cause the ammeter to show discharge. Then shut off the headlights and any other electrical load and switch off the engine. The ammeter should now show 0. Restart the car and check the ammeter again at a fast idle. It should show at least several amps charge. If not, you have a charging system issue. Be sure your battery is in good condition and fully charged. If in doubt, load test the battery, or replace it with a new one. Batteries can last for several years, but they don't always. Always thoroughly check the battery and battery cables if you are having electrical issues.

Posted on: 2023/5/9 19:30
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Even thought I replaced ever lick of wire in both my cars, I still disconnect the battery when not being driven.

With everything turned off and the door closed, disconnect one of the battery cables. Hook an ohm meter up between the cable and its respective battery terminal. If it's not infinite (aka no ohms), then you have something consuming power. The only thing that should still have power is the clock, but that shouldn't be constant, just when the winder kicks in.

Posted on: 2023/5/9 19:41
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jimmyk
See User information
Thanks! This could be the issue…I will get new battery tomorrow and report back! I was surprised that it was reading 6 volts after sitting for two years…but it did work this week …but it did seem to be fading out today..hope your right!

Posted on: 2023/5/9 20:17
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jimmyk
See User information
Will check this tomorrow thanks for your response! I appreciate it!

Posted on: 2023/5/9 20:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
If your battery sat idle for two years with no attention, it's probably junk. Even a new battery could be expected to be dead after sitting idle for two years.

Batteries can last a long time, but they often don't, especially if they are left idle for long periods. Batteries self-discharge over time, and they can freeze in cold weather when not fully charged. That usually damages a battery beyond use.

I have about 18 discarded auto and truck batteries sitting around. Some have sat for years. Most of them will still show 12 volts, even though none of them could light up a pea bulb, let alone start a car. NO amount of charging will revive them. A good battery will deliver about 80% of it's nominal voltage when operating a starter. Aged, weak batteries will show more voltage drop under load, and very weak old batteries will drop close to zero volts under any significant load.

Posted on: 2023/5/9 21:49
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jimmyk
See User information
Thanks..it may have been 3 years…I used a trickle charger on it overnight ….and it was starting the car I probably started it 5 to 8 times before it started malfunctioning…thought battery was good…going to get battery now!

Posted on: 2023/5/10 6:00
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jimmyk
See User information
Ok new battery resolved issue and started right up!! Bad news ….bled new brakes last night and had great pressure at peddle..when I started it up this am I lost brake pressure ..I cannot find a leak anywhere at the fittings??? New master cylinder that is full with fluid…dos t seem that I can pump anymore into the lines…maybe I bled them incorrectly?? Secondly I am getting smoke coming from ok filler tube when I turn off engine..it’s a good amount of smoke..I checked new plugs that have less than 30 minutes of run time and they are black already..I will attach photo if I can…temp gauge reads fine as well as oil presssure…any thoughts oil rings? Thanks again …would not even be at this stage without all the help

Posted on: 2023/5/10 8:10
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jimmyk
See User information
Oil filler tube..auto correct

Attach file:

jpg  image.jpg (180.77 KB)
191389_645b988506eaa.jpg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2023/5/10 8:14
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved