Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
103 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 103

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9)

Re: Treadlrvac???????
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The white buildup you talk of. Is that in the fluid reservoir either caked or floating around?

Posted on: 2009/5/26 10:22
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Brandon
See User information
It is caked on, I'll check for any floating around when I get back to my car.

Posted on: 2009/5/26 10:30
** 1956 Packard Patrician **
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
ABS Power Brakes in Orange, CA has an underfloor dual MC that can be used in conjunction with a remote mount electric booster. The dual MC is only 3-1/2 in high, so it will fit under the floor of a 51-56 Packard. The booster can be mounted anywhere, even under the dash.

See page 10 in the online catalog:http://www.abspowerbrake.com/maincatalog_frameset.html

The problem is that the electric booster is pricey (>$1100), but not as pricey as major injury or death.

Craig

Posted on: 2009/5/26 12:01
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That gunk or buildup is also mentioned by another poster in the Easamatic Condition thread. My concerns/comments to his situation apply to yours and other long sitting units as well.

Posted on: 2009/5/26 14:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
I've recently overhauled a delco-morraine system which suffered a failure similar to T/V. It was caused by fluid leaking past the piston seals and getting sucked into vac chamber of booster. This vehicle didn't suffer total failure as there's 2 secondary seals after the primary cup. This one always felt like it needed brake adjustments every 20 miles or so. As far as the atmospheric cover seals, 63 and down used a large bolt through the cover into a threaded boss inside reservior, but only on original units. Replacements had the 64 and up bail cover. Perhaps that could be modded to a T/V.

Posted on: 2009/5/26 16:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
I forgot to post this above, but ABS PB does NOT have a 7in unit any different than the MPB that I used on my 55 Pat. This means that one of ABS will also fit under the toe board, but it will still require 4:1 pedal leverage, instead of the 3:1 that I used with the MPB.

At least with the under floor unit, the pedal would be "in the right place."

Also, one could use the under floor unit as strictly manual brakes and spend the extra money instead on their disc brake conversion. I did this very thing on my 1963 Tempest (manual dual MC and disc front brake conversion). Albeit maybe 1,000lb lighter than a Packard, my Tempest stopped great.

My Tempest originally had 9in drums, whereas the Clipper/Packards have 11/12in drums, so the disc brakes are certainly optional. Also, the drums would work better with manual brakes, being self-energizing.

In any case, it is good to see that there are some more commercially-available solutions out there.

Craig

Posted on: 2009/5/26 16:40
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mathew Rattray
See User information
Great find Craig,

Just wondering with the 4:1 brake pressure does this mean even though the pedal remains in "the right place" will it require more braking force for the car to brake (sorry for my ignorance).

You did mention its costly but how much does a person value their life. I'd be happy to spend $1100 + If I knew I had the safety of knowing if when I needed to stop I had brakes and not worry will the T/V work or not.

Posted on: 2009/5/26 18:39
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved