Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
90 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 88

Packard5687, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Power Steering Pump on a '55
Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I’ve been doing some cosmetic updates in the engine compartment of the wife’s ’55 Caribbean. One of those is going to be remove and paint the power steering pump, which has a slight patina of rust on it.

The pump works fine, but I was wondering if I should get a rebuild kit and install it. Also, is there anything that presents a challenge in doing a rebuild?

Some input would be greatly appreciated before I start the task.

Posted on: 2023/5/17 10:30
 Top  Print   

Re: Power Steering Pump on a '55
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not much to a rebuild. Bearing, shaft seal, some O rings and the filter are about all that is changed. Unless the pump has run dry or grit or dirt got in the fluid there is usually very little wear. If the steering works well in the car now, the rotors and shaft should be in good shape. The pumps look identical but there is a difference between a pump used on a Monroe vs a Bendix system. There is a slightly different pressure relief valve setup because of the higher pressure needed on a Monroe system. Higher pressure pumps have 900 stamped on the pressure out port. If something happens and you need something in the valve section be sure to get the correct items for the system you have.

Posted on: 2023/5/17 10:46
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Only thing I can think of is the spring.

Mine was loose when i took lid off.

Not sure if there is a picture in my blog.

Posted on: 2023/5/17 22:59
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I'm going to put this on the back burner for now. I've discovered the PS control valve has been leaking.

Based on what I have discovered on this site, the car probably has a Bendix unit. I see a picture of a Bendix on page
24 in the Suspension & Steering. Is there a picture of a Monroe unit some where so I can be certain that I get the right replacement?

Posted on: 2023/5/19 9:26
 Top  Print   

Re: Power Steering Pump on a
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Check plates 31C and 31D in the parts manual for the differences.

In a nutshell, the Monroe has only two hoses and is basically a single long cylinder which forms most of the linkage. The steering box directly connects to the control valve which is inside that cylinder body.

The Bendix system has 4 hoses with the steering box connecting to a small valve assy which is in turn connected to the linkage. The power cylinder is separate and connects to the middle of the linkage.

Posted on: 2023/5/19 9:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Howard - thanks I had just finished there and was getting ready to reply that I was OK. Was on the phone with Merritt ordering parts when you posted.

Posted on: 2023/5/19 9:59
 Top  Print   

Re: Power Steering Pump on a
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Just FYI if you have the Bendix system and are changing seals on the power cylinder.

On the last page of a 56 service counselor Packard went to the trouble of writing a service article on the proper installation order of the sealing pieces. Apparently they had issues or maybe the instructions in the manual was not enough.

Don't recall anything extra on the Bendix control valve but it and the Monroe system have decent instructions and photos in the manual.

Posted on: 2023/5/19 10:15
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
PS Control Valve has been replaced. It had a Bendix unit and I discovered the hose to the power cylinder was rubbing against the torsion bar and would sometimes rub against the back of the starter. I solved the rubbing issue by having a shorter hose made.

Great service from Ammerray Hydraulics in Simi Valley. They made the hose while I waited - took them 10 minutes.

Thanks for all the help.

Posted on: 2023/5/27 10:34
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved