Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
134 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 134

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Concerning Bubbles & Vapor Lock
Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Many older Ford V8s suffered "vapor lock" as a result of a worn fuel pump actuating rod. The pushrod that operated the pump would eventually wear down and reduce the pump's stroke. This condition usually showed up in hot weather, and in extreme cases, even in cold weather once the engine warmed up. The cure was simple: Replace the worn pushrod.

Posted on: 2023/5/20 8:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
So very true, I ran a '38 Ford pick-up for years through from April to October and never had an issue. When all parts are to spec most of the 'gremlins' go away.
Bob J.

Posted on: 2023/5/20 10:05
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

bullsh--ter
See User information
The clothpins theoretically acted as radiotor fins. I have never used them but those that did would swear that it worked. As for the old flatheads it was common to put one or sometimes two flat washers in the fuel pump arm. it almost looked like it was made for it .

Posted on: 2023/5/20 11:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

TxGoat wrote:
I bought a '52 Cadillac convertible years ago. It had a slew of wooden clothes pins on the fuel line to the carburetor. I took 'em off and it still ran. Has anyone ever heard an explanation of how the clothes pin cure is supposed to work?

An old geezer around here used to drive a '48 Plymouth around town. He had "vapor lock" problems in hot weather, which he dealt with by wrapping a tow sack around the fuel pump. He'd pull in a gas station and buy 50 cents worth of gas and tell the attendant to "wet down my tow sack".

I think the practice of using clothes pins on fuel lines to stop vapor locking came from the time when updraft carburetors were being used and fuel ran into them by gravity. Since there was no pressure in this supply line the fuel was subject to bubbling and vapor lock. The clothes pins would provide more surface area for the fuel line and help to prevent this condition. I have seen clothes pins with the Ford logo printed on them as they were a popular "fix" in the Model T era.

Keeping the fuel pump as cool as possible would also help prevent vapor lock. A common practice back in the day was as described. It worked.

Posted on: 2023/5/20 12:02
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved