Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
83 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 81

Packard Lover, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1941 Shock Absorber Fluid and Exterior paint color
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
Hi there...What type of fluid goes into the front shocks. Per the shop manual, mine are down a bit.

ALSO, what color should the shock absorbers be? I am thinking a matte grey, similar to the intake manifold.

Thanks
Gar

Posted on: 2023/5/21 18:22
 Top  Print   

Re: 1941 Shock Absorber Fluid and Exterior paint color
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Refill with common hydraulic oil, I use a Mobil product but there are many brands on the market. In a pinch, hydraulic jack oil should also be satisfactory. I can't comment with authority on color but I'd be extremely surprised if they weren't painted with chassis black.

Posted on: 2023/5/21 19:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The shocks were painted along with the chassis so were black.

Posted on: 2023/5/22 2:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
Gentlemen:
Thank you both for your valuable input.

Gar

Posted on: 2023/5/22 18:47
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Doc
See User information
Hey my 49 Packard std8 needs fluid in the front shocks, so how do you fill and can I use the Kubota hydraulic fluid that I put in my tractor hydraulic system. Needs something bad because its handling rather nautical on the country roads.
Thanks!

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_4679.jpeg (19.72 KB)
226376_650365b98c0fc.jpeg 259X194 px

Posted on: 2023/9/14 14:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is a photo showing the fill plug and instructions on how much to use. The fill hole is fairly small and may be hard to reach with all the inner fender metal surrounding it. You will need a small funnel or some kind of hose applicator that will be able to fit.

Shock needs a non foaming or non aerating oil and most use hydraulic jack oil. Not familiar with the tractor hydraulic fluid you mention but as long as it is petroleum based and not a synthetic that might have issues with any of the old oil still inside the shock it should be OK.

If the arm seals on either side of the shock are worn the new oil will leak out in a short amount of time. If that happens the only repair option is a rebuilt shock.

Attach file:

jpg  shock.jpg (147.62 KB)
209_65036ddc34662.jpg 1172X870 px

Posted on: 2023/9/14 15:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved