Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
67 user(s) are online (45 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 66

acolds, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1948 288 engine #
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
DMV may work for us but then you have the situation where the car is long out of the system and there is no current title showing another number was the official VN and was the proper one to be used for registration. The annual renewal slip kept in the car does not seem to count at all.

You run across an inspector set in his ways and no matter what argument is raised he is going to do it his way. His way is every single ID plate or number on the car except the embossed body ID or thief proof number on the firewall is removable. The car WILL be re-registered using the non removable number or not at all -- Period! End of discussion. The friend I bought the car from in 91 had argued this point with an absolutely unwavering inspector a few years earlier when he had bought the car.

A few years down the road if the car escapes the junkyard and goes to another Packard person this situation is sure to be revisited. That new owner will probably be on a forum somewhere wanting to know why the car has a strange number on the title.

As far as numbers goes, it does kind of make you wonder about the thinking of the time. Packard and others went to length to prevent theft or causal hotwiring by using the armored cable on the coil etc but if someone actually did steal a car important numbers could be swapped with some from a junkyard car by using a screwdriver.

Attach file:

jpeg  47 reg.jpeg (102.56 KB)
209_64737e620793e.jpeg 1367X601 px

Posted on: 2023/5/28 9:56
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
That's the problem with going to the DMV to have a verification done. As a mobile VIN verifier, I am far more lenient but also not free as the DMV is. AAA also does verifications for members but not typically on older cars although they can assist with the paperwork once it's been verified.

Co-incidentally, the first car I verified after getting my license was a 1940 Packard 120 which had a 1948 engine in it and that's the way it was titled. It had no VIN plate and many 1940s including this one don't even have the anti-theft number (I understand that it was a decal that is usually gone by now) so I used the engine number again with a notation in the remarks that it was a later model engine. The verification form does allow for engine numbers and there is a checkbox for the VIN's location with Engine being one of the choices.

Posted on: 2023/5/28 14:35
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Only 1938 used a sticker instead of a Vehicle Number (Patent) Plate. All other years originally had a plate.

Packard went back to the metal place in 1939.

Posted on: 2023/5/30 9:13
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
In event, the 1940 that I verified did not have an anti-theft number either. Between the < and > triangles it was empty.

Posted on: 2023/5/30 11:33
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I'll let Dave C speak on that topic. I know there were some cars that left the factory without their TPN stamping.

Posted on: 2023/5/30 13:44
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved