Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
212 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 209

DM37, Don B, 37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Factory Trunk Finish
Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Can someone confirm how Packard would have finished the trunk of my 53 Cavalier? I am pretty sure that gold shag carpet was not factory!!!

TIA

Attach file:

jpg  350979520_221434630648345_4754235221848583363_n.jpg (159.31 KB)
226104_6478db83de922.jpg 1080X810 px

Posted on: 2023/6/1 12:57
 Top  Print   

Re: Factory Trunk Finish
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
It would have been a sprayed-on flock surface. Which would have quickly rubbed off with the first sliding suitcase.

Most folks replace it with a thin carpet. Lowes/Home Depot has a selection of indoor/outdoor low nap carpet that works perfectly, and it cheap.

Posted on: 2023/6/1 13:02
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
It would have been a sprayed-on flock surface. Which would have quickly rubbed off with the first sliding suitcase.

Most folks replace it with a thin carpet. Lowes/Home Depot has a selection of indoor/outdoor low nap carpet that works perfectly, and it cheap.

Thank you! So the trunk pan would have been the same as the inner fenders, etc, correct? Was there a standard colour? Some of my trunk coating seems to be grey, but some seems to be black.

Not adverse to changing the materials that were originally used, I'm not trying to get to Pebble Beach! LOL But, I do want to maintain the car's originality as much as possible.

Posted on: 2023/6/1 13:21
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I think the flocking was a tannish-gray color which was sprayed over a black asphalt sound deadener.

Posted on: 2023/6/1 13:37
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
The trunk floor was covered by a very thin carpet material with a flock appearing finish

Posted on: 2023/6/1 13:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
I think the flocking was a tannish-gray color which was sprayed over a black asphalt sound deadener.

That would make sense as to why I have a bit of both colours going on. Thanks again!

Posted on: 2023/6/1 13:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

BDeB wrote:
The trunk floor was covered by a very thin carpet material with a flock appearing finish

Would this "carpet" have been laid loose on top of the coated floor pan? The rest of the trunk would have had the sprayed on flock? In a greyish/brown colour as BigKev suggested?

Posted on: 2023/6/1 13:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
It would have been a sprayed-on flock surface. Which would have quickly rubbed off with the first sliding suitcase...

At PackardInfo a statement with scarcity value. In the majority of cases the talk is of the superior quality of Packard's. Whenever I read it, I wonder why PMCC is gone.

Attach file:

jpg  suitcase bomb.jpg (68.04 KB)
757_6478e8da5e7f1.jpg 566X710 px

Posted on: 2023/6/1 13:52
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
I've never seen a car with a nicely finished trunk interior. Rolls Royce, maybe, or custom-bodied cars, perhaps.

Buicks, Cadillacs, Lincolns, Oldsmobiles, even Packards... all seem to have some variation on a thin mat of rubber, or some sort of very low end carpet, laid over over bare steel or jute or asphalted felt, with cardboard side panels, exposed spare tire, and an unfinished lid underside. Projecting hinges, braces, spring anchors, and related parts are common.

The guy selling the spatter finish paint goop to automakers seems to have been very persuasive, too. The Spatter Finish Guy and the Guy From Big Jute moved a lot of product over many decades.

Posted on: 2023/6/1 14:21
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
From the 1954 Salesman Fact Book. I think the entire truck was sprayed with flock and a thin rubber mat was used on the flat bottom portion over that.

Attach file:

jpg  ScreenShot 731.jpg (189.44 KB)
1_6478f587cddb8.jpg 1920X649 px

Posted on: 2023/6/1 14:46
-BigKev

Top  Print   
Like (1)

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved