Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
136 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 133

John Sauser, 53 Cavalier, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Factory Trunk Finish
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Following up with Kev's comment, here is a photo of the trunk of my previously owned 55 Clipper Super. I covered the interior with the low pile indoor/outdoor carpet sold at Lowe's and Home Depot. It resulted in a most pleasing and attractive trunk. I recommend this material over flock if you are not concerned about originality.

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_0023.jpeg (48.30 KB)
565_647a2c9f50c1b.jpeg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2023/6/2 12:54
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
That looks great and would be superior in every way to the original treatment. I believe you'd get much better sound deadening.

Posted on: 2023/6/2 13:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
JWL;

That looks great! Is most of it glued and then the mats on either side of the spare being held in place by gravity?

Posted on: 2023/6/2 15:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
one word of chemistry caution, I'd be leery of any general asphalt/tar based adhesive available today compared to '50s.
They make regular flock adhesives for this, I'd use one of those compatible with the fiber used and substrate - primed metal vs bare. Don't mix systems, substitute fibres. The wrong solvent could lift the paint under it and mega-mess.
Also, better for the user/applier. Tack time has to be sufficient. Consider what PPE you'll need for this job also.
The problem with tar base is if it's not sourced and formulated right, it'll soften and bleed. Not all tar is created equal. They used "C" solvents and other things back then that aren't "EC" today, so hard to duplicate original in some things now and wouldn't want to. And will they last? is another consideration. I found a lot of tar based sealer on the P, and it's in locations that make it impossible to remove, and if you weld you light it up. I suspect the rope seal is to keep the particulate out which traps moisture and causes corrosion in seams. But rope will do the same and wick water. After electrostatic primer was invented, a lot of the old body construction methods/materials were obsolete and disappeared. No going backward in tech. only compatible.
eg: Someone repaired a replacement fender I received for the Cad, and they covered it in some sort of thin tar undercoating and it's still gooey under the crust. The modern spray undercoat from 3M is rubber based and dries too quickly so not suited for flocks. Seam sealer can thinned and sprayed and it stays tacky for 20-30 minutes so may work, also comes in some colors, mostly gray & blk. But over spray is to be considered.
If you can find a system, go with that.

Posted on: 2023/6/3 9:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

53 Cavalier wrote:
JWL;

That looks great! Is most of it glued and then the mats on either side of the spare being held in place by gravity?

Correct. I was lucky because I had patterns from the floor mat and cardboard side pieces.

Posted on: 2023/6/3 14:02
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
For now I just cleaned up the trunk, resprayed the seams and gave it a coat of paint. More later on...

Attach file:

jpg  20230603_140408.jpg (345.09 KB)
226104_647bddb1afcb1.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2023/6/3 19:41
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved