Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
80 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 78

humanpotatohybrid, dallas, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

front rubber mat 22nd series
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Wheelhorse76
See User information
hi everyone , just fyi im still looking for a front rubber mat (black) for my 22nd series . if there is any leads out there on one let me know . thanks all !!!

Posted on: 2023/6/1 20:35
 Top  Print   

Re: front rubber mat 22nd series
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I've been looking for one for my 1951 Henney-Packard too but they seem to be made of unobtanium!

Posted on: 2023/6/1 20:48
 Top  Print   
Like (2)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Search the old posts as I recall someone was having them made or had one made. There's picture of what they looked like. "Sam" w/ '50 comes to mind. Never heard any more.
I'd just use auto carpet as a work around. I've yet to find a supply of rubber matting that matches any of the old patterns. They're several matting makers that sell by the foot, just search. I bought some for the Cad trunk but won't find custom cut or matching. I don't know what the P resto shops do for this, may want to call around.
When I looked at making logo door mats for the coupe, the issue is cost for small runs or non-production replication methods. The tooling and production cost make it "impossible" for such a small number of remaining "P"s. Expect a unobtainium wait, it's appropriate.

Posted on: 2023/6/4 8:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Here's an original 22nd series. It was molded, not cut from extruded matting, as the textured border around the ribbing shows.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_0583.JPG (206.70 KB)
1020_648231689e72d.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2023/6/8 14:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Fish'n'Jim, was this the other part you were talking about?

I think for this one you could get a silicone mold off an original or possibly build a core via 3D printing from which to pull a mold cavity.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_0369.JPG (295.54 KB)
1020_648233ec0ba27.jpg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2023/6/8 15:04
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
This place in Michigan makes several of the running boards mats and some of the interior mats as well. They are willing to take on projects if you have patterns. The running board pictured in the previous post is one of the projects they have done before.

http://www.runningboardrubber.com/Packard.html

Posted on: 2023/6/8 15:09
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
looks like they've done the floor mat (50 is the same) and the step plates!! I think they are actually in BC, but have a US shipping point. Looks good.

Posted on: 2023/6/8 15:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
The guy in Canada, CNC machines from a digital file on flat stock and then coats to give the smooth surface. He can only make the rubber. He was seasonal based on volume. I talked to him on the phone but many years now.
Someone else claimed to have made from a mold but the quality was not acceptable as the part was not pristine and I never heard more from them. I contacted other potential suppliers too.
I have all the info, drawings, etc. but no longer am pursuing as that project is back burner and changed from a resto to a hot rod/custom. Not to mention, at my age, the faster I move the slower I get.
The sill mat is backed by a steel backer that has slots and clips that engage the rocker panel, so that steel piece has to be created as well, as they rot. It requires a stamping. Then a rubber part has to be laminated to that backer. That technology isn't done much today. Mostly glues, etc. Not a DIY process either, need chemicals and heat and pressure/press.
There just is not enough need to justify any break even enterprise here. I had maybe a handful interested. Plus there's the coupe v 4 dr split.
They used to do things that way, but the buggy whip effect applies here.
I'm not a fan of OEM rubber floor mats, and authenticity for me is trumped by functional. Natural rubber just doesn't last, so it'll need replaced at some point. If you put that time and money in, it has to last, and the OEM may not give the best life. They weren't designed that way. Crank out the model year mode.
Ps: I have a copy of the 23 series sill mat drawing and had it digitized, if anyone needs it. Not going to wholesale distribute as I paid for it, genuine need only.

Posted on: 2023/6/9 10:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Quote:

Fish'n Jim wrote:
Natural rubber just doesn't last, so it'll need replaced at some point. onl

You're quite right, but I doubt the original was natural rubber because its poor weathering was well known by then. It was most likely EPDM, which would be fine today or one could use an appropriate polyurethane or vinyl.

Machining elastomers is not easy - that guy must have a very sharp CNC.

Posted on: 2023/6/9 11:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
Machining elastomers is not easy - that guy must have a very sharp CNC.

I don't know how this guy does it but did read that as long as the piece is thick enough to still have a decent mass freezing is one way to machine rubber. Don't remember the temp but I think liquid nitrogen would probably make it too brittle so maybe something around dry ice temperature is the range.

Posted on: 2023/6/9 12:11
Howard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved