Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
125 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 125

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Canadian Packard knowledge
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packard51
See User information
Kind of a different request but anyone with knowledge about the Canadian-side of Packard for 1951, I am trying to chase-down the Canadian part of my Patrician's history. The Government offices, just like ours, are of no help. VIN is 2452-4085. sold at Edmonton, then also spent time in Devon then at some point came stateside. Thanks in advance!

Posted on: 2023/6/6 9:02
 Top  Print   

Re: Canadian Packard knowledge
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
I got this reply back when I posted an ad for an Ottawa Ontario Canada Packard Dealership opening in April of 1937. It is the dealership my car was sold from the next month.
In the reply you will see that there was some Canadian manufacturing but only for a short time due to a tariff war between our governments trying to get through the severe depression. I think it points out that by your car's build date all Packards were built in the US and exported from there. The Edmonton dealership would have been the importer.
Here is the quote:

su8overdrive
Re: 1937 Ad

See User information
Thanks for the above. After the stock market crash in Packard's most profitable year ever, the government introduced the protective Hawley-Smoot Tariff in June, 1930. To counter, Canada's new conservative regime increased tariffs to 30% on imported cars costing up to $2,100, and a whopping 40% on luxe cars above that. Having a base price of $2,375, this hurt Packard.

The Canadian government offered some relief to US automakers willing to open branch assembly plants in Canada. Because Packard and Pierce-Arrow both had traditionally good markets in Canada, they crossed the Detroit River to open plants in Windsor, Ontario.

Before the end of 1931, Packard assembled 500 cars in a pair of remodeled buildings on Church and Chatham Streets, L.L. Roberts, from Packard's Detroit operation, becoming GM.

In 1932, expanding production necessitated a move to larger quarters, the Fisher Body Building on St. Luke Road. Production there reached a high in 1937, 2,556 cars. After 1935, the plant turned out only One Twenties and sixes.

War clouds slowed output 'til a final 1,425 cars for 1939. In 1936, Canadian tariffs returned to a healthier 17 1/2%, so with nearly break even volume, Packard opted to export than build, and closed the plant.

Tho' Packard was listed 1931-39 with the Canadian Manufacturers Association, the Company's focus was still their Ontario Bay Street distributorship because Packard "only put the wheels on in Windsor."

The '30s weren't Packard's first Canadian operation. In 1900, a decade after the brothers launched Packard Electric Company, Warren, Ohio, they opened Packard Electric Co. Ltd. in St. Catharines, Ontario.

The automobiles produced in Packard Electric Co. Ltd.'s "Motor Car Department" weren't Packards, but Oldsmobiles. The Olds Motor Works, Lansing, Michigan, contracted Packard to build its 1905-07 models under license. The name plates read Oldsmobile, but the vehicle plates "Made by Packard."

-- from Packard, the Complete Story, printings 1985, 1987

Posted on: 2023/6/6 10:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Packard51 wrote:
Kind of a different request but anyone with knowledge about the Canadian-side of Packard for 1951, I am trying to chase-down the Canadian part of my Patrician's history. The Government offices, just like ours, are of no help. VIN is 2452-4085. sold at Edmonton, then also spent time in Devon then at some point came stateside. Thanks in advance!

I don't recall just from memory all of the exact years, but there was a Packard operation in downtown Windsor after the war. I have the address somewhere.

The operation was a kind of distributorship. It later moved out on Huron Line at what were then the outskirts of town. It was a red brick building with metal-framed Fenestra type windows.

I used to ride my bicycle past this place on my way to visit relatives near Amherstburg. This Packard operation was still assembling small numbers of K-D Packards in the 1950s. The Packard operation people there would let me stop and gawk at things since I believe they were fascinated by my American bicycle with fat whitewall tires, a lot of chrome and a spring front fork. Something hugely different from anything most Canadians ever saw. Especially back then.

I believe the building was still standing the last time I drove past a few years ago. But seems so much smaller and swallowed by the the area around it... which is completely unrecognizable now. That was a long time ago...

Posted on: 2023/6/6 22:36
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packard51
See User information
Thanks for the story! I have actually been contacted back by a DMV in Edmonton and they discussed a couple of reports that might give some information at least on local registration/location history. It is my goal to drive to the location, it is a 3,226 mile roundtrip but looking forward to it!

Posted on: 2023/6/7 6:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
Exciting! I contacted the library in the city mine was sold and got them to look up old ads and articles in their newspaper archive. Got some fun info sent to me by email and no gas required! They get a kick out of troving through there records too, let's them know they are needed by us historical nuts.
Bob J.

Posted on: 2023/6/7 10:33
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packard51
See User information
That is a great idea Bob, I'll try that!

Posted on: 2023/6/7 10:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
The Packard dealer in Edmonton was Miller Motors which later became a Chrysler dealer before disappearing in the mid 70's.
They were located at 10019 104 Street and an online search will turn up some period photos.

Henderson's Directory for Edmonton shows information by name and also by street address. It is available online from the Peel Library at University of Alberta.
References for Miller Motors can be found on page 883 for 1951 and page 631 for 1960, the last year available online.

Peel's Prairie Provinces

What makes you so sure that your Patrician was originally sold in Edmonton?
Does it have a Miller Motors badge on the trunk lid?
Ownership in Devon at one time does not necessarily mean that it was sold new in Edmonton.

Posted on: 2023/6/7 12:59
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packard51
See User information
If you had looked-up my vehicle in the registry, you would have seen the Canadian-connection. And that it had the wrong ornament on the hood. The first time the car was registered, it was by an individual that lived in Devon, Alberta. So, yes I assumed it started of in Canada. Logic says until you present something that proves otherwise. So unless you have facts that challenge that, I will assume (you have to assume a lot with these old cars, I mean did you just assume everything the prior owner told you was correct?) that it originated in Canada. I am currently working with the Registry in Alberta to see if I can get more info

Posted on: 2023/6/8 10:19
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packard51
See User information
Well I finally got into the trunk and have the bill-of-sale and the customs entry into the US from Canada. Still chasing some info in Canada.

Posted on: 2023/6/14 6:19
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packard51
See User information
I also have discovered that the car was at a Canadian School for some repairs. The rockers and the attempted repair of the passenger rear-fender. Boy, this car has definitely been a traveler!

Posted on: 2023/6/21 12:52
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved