Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
123 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 123

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Screws behind bell housing?
Just popping in
Just popping in

Junior
See User information
Hey everyone,

I'm taking apart a 327 engine from a '48, and I came across these screws in the back of the block behind the bell housing. Looks like someone already tried to get them out and failed miserably. I was wondering if anyone knew what these screws were, and if it's worth finding someone to get them out.

Attach file:

jpg  20230606_112424.jpg (265.60 KB)
225757_647f841cdc079.jpg 887X1920 px

Posted on: 2023/6/6 14:08
 Top  Print 

Re: Screws behind bell housing?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Without seeing more of the side of the engine I cannot tell specifically on that item but it may not be a screw but rather a plug at the end of a longitudinally bored oil passage. The main oil supply gallery out of the oil pump is a passage near there and the end of the valve lifter oil gallery is a few inches above the main gallery but inward just below the valve chamber covers. Some engines close the passages with threaded plugs, some use disc like Welch plugs or in others, press in cup shaped plugs. If you are referring to the large diameter plug like object that could be the closure at the end of the camshaft.

This side view of the engine shows the main gallery depicted by the red line. Gallery is a rounded protuberance on the side of the block and if the plug lines up then you have the answer. While some are hidden, you can easily tell a 5 vs 9 main engine from the outside by looking at the spacing or number of 1/8 pipe plugs visible on the side of the gallery. There is a plug threaded in to close the end of a drilled passages going transversely from the gallery to each bearing.

Attach file:

jpg  oil gallery.jpg (58.71 KB)
209_647f9b1a1e46a.jpg 1056X438 px

Posted on: 2023/6/6 15:49
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
Howard is right on the money. They are screw caps that seal the end of the oil galley. I recommend removing them IF you are doing a full rebuild as it will allow you to clean out the galley properly. Otherwise, they can stay where they are if you are just doing a clean-up.
I took a shot of mine behind the engine mount bracket so it is a bit poor quality, but they are simple pipe thread caps with a straight slot for a LARGE screw driver tool. (Note too the engine is upside down in this shot.)
Bob J.

Attach file:

jpg  rear end detail.JPG (165.33 KB)
225215_647fc18ed330f.jpg 1583X1515 px

Posted on: 2023/6/6 18:30
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Junior
See User information
Howard and Bob,

Thank you for the replies and knowledge. Unfortunately the caps look like someone stripped them before myself, so I dont know if I can get them removed. Good to know they aren't essential to engine operation.

Posted on: 2023/6/6 23:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Drill it out.

Posted on: 2023/6/6 23:40
Riki
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Or use an impact screw driver if there is any remnant at all left of the slot.

Posted on: 2023/6/7 2:03
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
I found the bag of hardware for the block. There are two square .320" drive 3/8 pipe thread plugs .430 deep, one straight slot drive 3/8 pipe thread plug .482" deep and one frost plug .592" diameter x .385" deep. I see McMaster-Carr carries the square drive one and see no reason that 3 of those cannot be used in place of the one slot drive. Hope this helps you replace the hardware if you decide to drill them out.
Bob J.

Attach file:

jpg  plugs.JPG (164.05 KB)
225215_6480a02804d03.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2023/6/7 10:20
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved